The ultimate bodybuilder is big and ripped. Many bodybuilders with the goal of getting big become excessively fat along the way or become so concerned with cutting up that they lose significant muscle size. As it is near impossible to get big and ripped at the same time, you need to cycle the two. This article looks at simple ways to help you efficiently cut up and get the ripped look so important for competition time.
Tips For Getting Ripped
- Burn Fat. Calories must be reduced for fat burning to occur. A high protein, low carbohydrate and moderate fat diet can help achieve this.
- Protein. As you cut calories from carbs and fat out of your diet, you need to increase your protein intake to prevent muscle breakdown. The extra protein can provide energy, and prevent muscle catabolism.
- Carbohydrates. Lowering carbs reduces calories as well as the amount of insulin you secrete. Insulin is one of the most anabolic hormones in the body but it can also be the most fattening. Reducing insulin secretion gives your body a better chance of fat burning. Lowering your carb intake reduces the amount of glycogen stored in your cells. As glycogen is the bodys number one source of energy, with fat second, once the glycogen is depleted you can use your fat for energy. The lack of carbs may negatively affect your ability to have a good work out due to the lack of glycogen, so consider proper timing of carbohydrate intake for maximum benefits without compromising your fat burning ability.
- Fat. The more you eat of it, the more fat you have to burn. Ensure that your consumption of saturated fats and trans fats is minimal and that you do consume healthy fats, such as polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats.
- Getting Shredded. Consuming 6-8 meals per day will help keep your metabolism high and prevent catabolism. Consume most of your carbohydrates at breakfast and before and after you workout, where the increased need for carbohydrates will offset possible storage of excess carbohydrates into body fat.
- Sleep. Get 8 hours of sleep as it is crucial to recovery. Caloric depletion will mean that your recovery is already impeded so you need to optimise recovery through sleep.
- Hydrate. On a reduced diet you will have less glycogen in your cells and lose fluid out of the cells as a result. Protein synthesis is depleted at this time. By keeping up your water intake, you will help hydrate your cells and keep your protein synthesis from dropping. Avoid simple Carbs. Avoid these, with the exception of immediately post-workout. For the rest of the time consume carbs that have a Glycemic Index (GI) score below 60. Refined carbohydrates and saturated fats are also worth avoiding during the cutting up phase.
Supplements for Cutting Up
- Thermogenics: These can enable the body to burn calories as heat for energy, thus preventing their storage in the form of fat.
- Fat Metabolisers: Fat Metabolisers can help with the efficiently processing of fats.
- Fat Loss Protein Powder: This is a Whey Protein Isolate with fat loss ingredients.
- Testosterone Support Supplements: These can aid strength whilst simultaneously decreasing body fat.
- Multi-Vitamin/Mineral Supplement: These can keep your immune levels at their best, especially when your diet is depleted.
- Glutamine: Glutamine levels reduce significantly during a workout. Low glutamine can leads to muscle breakdown hence it is an important supplement to take.
- Creatine: Creatine keeps the cell hydrated, crucial during a cutting phase as your cells will be dehydrated from lack of carbs. Keeping your cells hydrated also assists protein synthesis.
- HMB: HMB can help prevent muscle breakdown during periods of stress.
Get Cut & Stay Ripped
Once you have built up the desired muscle mass and want to cut up to show off your ultimate physique it is time to optimise your training, diet, supplementation and recovery. This way you can minimise muscle loss, which is an unfortunate result of the cutting up process. In summary, reduce your fat and carb intake and increase your protein intake, add in cardio, get increased sleep, and use supplements at this crucial time and you will be well on your way to cutting up with a minimal loss of prized muscle.