What is Boldenone Undecylenate (Equipoise)?
Boldenone Undecylenate is a steroid which is used in vererinary medicine to rehabilitate horses after illness or overwork. It is quite similar in structure to testosterone, and has strong anabolic and some androgenic effects. Equipoise is not designed for human use and is only able to be prescribed by a veterinarian.
Why Use Boldenone Undecylenate (Equipoise)?
There is no medical reason for a person to use a horse steroid. Steroids can be used in human medicine to treat diseases like anaemia and muscle wasting, under the strict supervision of a medical professional.
Some athletes and bodybuilders abuse Boldenone Undecylenate (Equipoise) to build muscle, enhance vascularity, and improve athletic performance.
Boldenone Undecylenate (Equipoise) Side Effects
As with all anabolic steroids, Boldenone Undecylenate (Equipoise) has a strong potential to cause serious side effects. These side effects can be dangerous, disfiguring, permanent and in some cases, life threatening.
Anabolic steroids are known for increasing the production of red blood cells. This effect is more marked in Boldenone than many other types of steroid. This may improve the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood, but in return, it also dramatically increases the chances of abnormal blood clotting, the cause of potentially fatal conditions like deep vein thrombosis and stroke. In addition, steroid use raises blood cholesterol levels, which is a big contributing factor to the formation of atherosclerotic plaques (1). It also increases the blood pressure which damages blood vessels and increases the risk of a potentially fatal aneurysm. The muscle thickening that boldenone causes can affect the muscular chambers of the heart, potentially leading to cardiac failure (2).
Anabolic steroids are known for the havoc they wreak on the body's production of hormones, and Boldenone is no exception. With a structure very similar to testosterone, introduction of this chemical into the body tells some endocrine glands, including the testes, to stop producing their own hormones. This leads to infertility, sexual dysfunction and hair loss, and has a lot of potential to become permanent – if the testosterone producing Leydig cells in the testes lie dormant they can die, causing testicular atrophy. These cells do not regenerate, and many people who have abused steroids have found their bodies incapable of producing testosterone when they come off the drugs. Boldenone is also able to aromatise into oestrogen, and gyno or man boobs is a concern for a number of users.
Women who abuse Boldenone are likely to see symptoms of masculinisation, such as body hair growth, breast shrinkage, deepened voice and changes to fertility, which may become permanent. Severe acne and oily skin is a well known side effect of Boldenone in men and women (3).
Everyone has heard of roid rage, and Boldenone is known for stimulating aggression. In addition, like many steroids, it has a high addictive potential, both physical and psychological. When steroid use is stopped, it can lead to depression, lethargy and cravings (4)
Anabolic steroids have been implicated in the development of renal disease (5) and like other steroids, Boldenone can damage the liver, which can permanently impair function and increase cancer risk (6).
Alternatives to Boldenone Undecylenate (Equipoise)
There are many ways that an athlete or bodybuilder can increase the levels of anabolic hormone in their body in a natural, legal manner, with next to no side effects. There are products on the market that are very effective in encouraging the body to safely increase its own production of hormones. Here are some of the best:
HGH: Elemental Nutrition's hugely popular HGH is a mixture of two amino acids, lysine, and arginine pyroglutamate, that together have been proven to boost the body's HGH production by up to 700% after administration (7). HGH is a potent supplement that helps the body build lean muscle.
ZMA: Like HGH, this is a simple blend of ingredients that work together. Zinc, Magnesium and vitamin B6 have been shown to boost testosterone levels, enhancing muscle growth, fertility, and drive. In addition, ZMA promises a deep, restful sleep, maximising muscle repair and doing wonders for mental state and mood.
Tribulus: This plant has been used across many cultures for thousands of years to enhance male virility. Rich in plant steroid protodioscin, tribulus can help get huge gains with none of the dangerous side effects of anabolic steroids. Massive Muscle Fuel 2.0 combines both tribulus and pure protodioscin with other ingredients that maximise testosterone levels. This is one of the most potent legal testosterone boosters on the market.
(1) Güneş Y, Erbaş C, Okuyan E, Babalik E, Gürmen T. Myocardial infarction with intracoronary thrombus induced by anabolic steroids. Anadolu Kardiyol Derg. 2004 Dec;4(4):357-8.
(2) Lane HA, Grace F, Smith JC, Morris K, Cockcroft J, Scanlon MF, Davies JS. Impaired vasoreactivity in bodybuilders using androgenic anabolic steroids. Eur J Clin Invest. 2006 Jul;36(7):483-8.
(3) Hartgens F, Kuipers H. Effects of androgenic-anabolic steroids in athletes. Sports Med. 2004;34(8):513-54.
(4) Brower KJ, Eliopulos GA, Blow FC, Catlin DH, Beresford TP. Evidence for physical and psychological dependence on anabolic androgenic steroids in eight weight lifters. Am J Psychiatry. 1990 Apr;147(4):510-2.
(5) Leal C. Herlitz, Glen S. Markowitz, Alton B. Farris, Joshua A. Schwimmer,Michael B. Stokes, Cheryl Kunis, Robert B. Colvin, Vivette D. D'Agati. Development of Focal Segmental Glomerulosclerosis after Anabolic Steroid Abuse. JASN January 1, 2010 vol. 21no. 1 163-172.
(6) Tousson E, Alm-Eldeen A, El-Moghazy M. p53 and Bcl-2expression in response to boldenone induced liver cells injury. Toxicol Ind Health. 2011 Sep;27(8):711-8.
(7) (4) Isidori A, Lo Monaco A, Cappa M. A study of growth hormone release in man after oral administration of amino acids. Curr Med Res Opin. 1981;7(7):475-81.