What is Nandrolone Decanoate (Deca-Durabolin)?
Nandrolone Decanoate is an anabolic steroid. It is chemically related to the male hormone testosterone, and it is commercially sold under the name Deca-Durabolin.
Why use Nandrolone Decanoate (Deca-Durabolin)?
Anabolic steroids stimulate cell growth and proliferation. There are many legitimate medical conditions that Nandrolone Decanoate can be used to treat when administered under proper medical supervision. These include diseases that cause muscle wasting such as HIV and chronic kidney disease (1,2), osteoporosis (3), anaemia (4), and some types of hormone dependent cancers in women (5). It is also showing promise for use in treating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) (6).
Nandrolone Decanoate is sometimes abused by athletes to increase lean muscle gain and promote fat loss.
What are the side effects of Nandrolone Decanoate (Deca-Durabolin)?
Like other anabolic steroids, when used incorrectly, Nandrolone Decanoate can cause a number of very serious side effects. These may arise without warning in otherwise healthy young people and frighteningly, may prove irreversible or even fatal.
Some of the most widely known side effects of anabolic steroids are hormonal. Using steroids wreaks havoc on the body’s normal production of hormones, and it is common for the male body to stop producing, or produce reduced amounts of testosterone after steroid use is stopped. Symptoms include testicular shrinkage, infertility, balding, gynaecomastia (man boobs), and increased risk for testicular cancer. Nandrolone Decanoate is notorious for causing long term impotence. In women, who do not ordinarily produce large amounts of testosterone, side effects include growth of body hair, voice deepening, shrinkage of breasts and clitoral enlargement. These effects may be irreversable (10).
Nandrolone Decanoate can have serious effects on the cardiovascular system. Like other steroids, it can raise the blood pressure, often to dangerous levels. High blood pressure is a risk factor for various conditions such as heart disease, kidney disease and aneurysm (1). It causes changes in blood lipid levels, raising the level of LDL (bad) cholesterol, which can lead to the development of atherosclerosis (7). It can make the blood more likely to clot, heightening the risk of stroke (8), and cause the left ventricle walls of the heart to enlarge, which can lead to heart failure (9).
Mental disturbances are common. Uncontrollable aggression (roid rage), mood swings and mania are are noted effects during use. Nandrolone Decanoate use can lead to psychological dependence and mental and physical withdrawal symptoms upon quitting, most notably depression (10,11).
Other side effects of steroid abuse can include liver, kidney and brain damage (10)
Finally, steroids are heavily counterfeited drugs, and what you are buying may be contaminated, infected, or not what the label says it is. An infection at the injection site can cause anything from an abscess to gangrene or septicaemia, while ingesting an unknown substance is at best a waste of money and at worst fatal. A recent study estimated that one third of all steroids on the market are counterfeit (12).
Alternatives to Nandrolone Decanoate (Deca-Durabolin)?
There are a number of supplements on the market that are used by many bodybuilders to naturally increase their levels of testosterone naturally and safely. Some of the major ingredients to look out for include:
*Tribulus – This is the most popular testosterone booster on the market and has been used for a long time by men in many cultures to increase virility. Tribulus contains an active ingredient called protodioscin which may boost testosterone levels. Elemental Nutrition Massive Muscle Fuel 2.0 contain tribulus extract, pure protodioscin and a number of other herbal testosterone boosters. It’s one of the strongest legal testosterone boosters available.
*D-aspartic acid – This amino acis has shown great promise in boosting testosterone levels. In one study performed on healthy men, it was shown to raise testosterone levels by 42% (13).
*Aromatase Inhibitors – Aromatase is an enzyme naturally found in the body that is responsible for converting testosterone into oestradiol. Suppressing this reaction prevents testosterone from being converted and can raise levels in the body. A product such as BPI's A-HD contains a number of natural and safe ingredients that may inhibit the action of aromatase.
(1) Gold J, Batterham MJ, Rekers H, Harms MK, Geurts TB, Helmyr PM, Silva de Mendonça J, Falleiros Carvalho LH, Panos G, Pinchera A, et al.
Effects of nandrolone decanoate compared with placebo or testosterone on HIV-associated wasting.
HIV Med. 2006 Apr; 7(3):146-55.
(2) Johansen KL, Mulligan K, Schambelan M. Anabolic effects of nandrolone decanoate in patients receiving dialysis: a randomized controlled trial.
JAMA. 1999 Apr 14; 281(14):1275-81.
(3) Frisoli A Jr., Chaves PH, Pinheiro MM, Szejnfeld VL. The effect of nandrolone decanoate on bone mineral density, muscle mass, and hemoglobin levels in elderly women with osteoporosis: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. J. Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2005 May;60(5):648-53.
(4) Chawla B, Iqbal FM, Chawla MS. Nandrolone decanoate for the treatment of erythropoietin refractory anemia: a case series.
Compr Ther 2009 Fall-Winter;35(3-4):199-203.
(5) Hackenberg R, Schulz KD. Androgen receptor mediated growth control of breast cancer and endometrial cancer modulated by antiandrogen- and androgen-like steroids.
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 1996 Jan; 56(1-6 Spec No):113-7.
(6) Velema MS, Kwa BH, de Ronde W. Should androgenic anabolic steroids be considered in the treatment regime of selected chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patients?
Curr Opin Pulm Med 2012 Mar;18(2):118-24.
(7) Labib M, Haddon A. The adverse effects of anabolic steroids on serum lipids. Ann Clin Biochem. 1996 May;33 ( Pt 3):263-4
(8) Santamarina RD, Besocke AG, Romano LM, Ioli PL, Gonorazky SE. Ischemic stroke related to anabolic abuse. Clin Neuropharmacol. 2008; 31(2): 80-5
(9) Lane HA, Grace F, Smith JC, Morris K, Cockcroft J, Scanlon MF, Davies JS. Impaired vasoreactivity in bodybuilders using androgenic anabolic steroids. Eur J Clin Invest. 2006 Jul;36(7):483-8.
(10) Hartgens F, Kuipers H. Effects of androgenic-anabolic steroids in athletes. Sports Med. 2004;34(8):513-54.
(11) Brower KJ, Eliopulos GA, Blow FC, Catlin DH, Beresford TP. Evidence for physical and psychological dependence on anabolic androgenic steroids in eight weight lifters. Am J Psychiatry. 1990 Apr;147(4):510-2.
(12) Da Justa Neves DB, Marcheti RG, Caldas ED. Incidence of anabolic steroid counterfeiting in Brazil. Forensic Sci Int 2013; 228(1-3): e81-3
(13) Topo E, Soricelli A, D’Aniello A, Ronsini S, D’Aniello G. The role and molecular mechanism of D-aspartic acid in the release and synthesis of LH and testosterone in humans and rats. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2009 Oct 27;7:120