What is Trenbolone?
Trenbolone (or tren, as it is colloquially known) is an anabolic steroid generally used by vets on livestock animals. It increases their muscle gain and appetite without putting on fat, creating a more valuable animal in terms of meat. It can be injected, or can be administered as an ear implant. This is used as a means to ensure that animals won’t lose as much weight whilst being transported for sale or slaughter. It is also used illicitly by body builders as an androgenic steroid, in order to increase their muscle gains.
Why Use Trenbolone?
Trenbolone is very similiar to the testosterone molecule, with only the 19th position altered between the two. The way in which trenbolone increases size is primarily with an increase in muscle fibre, rather than water retention, which is highly desirable for bodybuilders. It also has a very high anabolic (or muscle building score) of 500. Put into comparison with testosterone, which is considered a benchmark by some, with an anabolic score of 100, it is easy to see why this drug is used.
The mechanisms behind this muscle growth are largely to do with its strong affinity to male hormone receptors within the body. These activate production of growth hormones, which are the body's natural way of gaining muscle. Trenbolone is also a steroid which assists with fat loss, through a similar receptor, as well as blocking muscle breakdown receptors. It should be stressed that the use and possession of Trenbolone in Australia is illegal and carries serious ramifications.
Trenbolone Side Effects
As with all steroids, there are many negative health effects that come with trenbolone use.
- Psychology – This steroid will often produce anxiety, as well as insomnia and higher levels of aggression. It can also cause night terrors, and a loss of libido.
- Heart - Enlargement of the left side of the heart is a serious condition that often occurs with long term use, and cholesterol levels in particular are affected by this steroid.
- Liver and Kidneys - Toxic to be your excretory organs, it can cause kidney or liver failure, or at least disease them to the extent of a loss of function
- Gastronintestinal - vomiting, diarrhoea and nausea occur with many users
- Skin - acne is often more pronounced in use of trenbolone compared to other steroids
- Genitals – Male users can expect a decrease in fertility and ejaculate volume, as well as testes size, and may experience erectile dysfunction. Women will experience menstrual abnormalities/cessation and a non-reversible enlargement of the clitoris with prolonged use.
- Physicality – Women can become increasingly masculine, by growing facial and body hair, experiencing a deepening of the voice, and a reduction in fat tissue in the thigh, breast and hip areas. Men can have an increased growth in breast tissue, and male pattern baldness.
Natural testosterone support supplements work with your body to increase testosterone levels within normal limits. You can see these in detail in our two part article - "Testosterone Support Supplements (Part 1)" and "Testosterone Support Supplements (Part 2)". They are generally made from food or herbal products such as D-aspartic acid, Tribulus terrestris, and Long Jack (Longifolia) are safe and effective products.
Drug abuse handbook 2nd edition 2007 edited by steven b karch
Foutz CP et al. 'Anabolic implant effects on steer performance, carcass traits, subprimal yields and longissimmus muscle properties' Journal of Animal Science vol 75 (1997)
Nikfar, Sh. Abdollahi, M. Association of European Toxicologists, European Societies of Toxicology, 2001 Proceedings
Bahrke MS. Yesalis CE. Abuse of anabolic androgenic steroids and related substances in sport and exercise, Current opinion in pharmacology, (2004)
Hall RCW. Chapman MJ. Psychiatric complications of anabolic steroid abuse, Psychsomatics (2005)
Acha S. Rostamian A. Narayan SM. Cardiac and metabolic effects of anabolic-androgenic steroid abuse on lipids, blood pressure, left ventricular dimensions, and rhythm, the American Journal of Cardiology (2010)