- 500mg to 3000mg of Tribulus extract per day is optimal depending on the extract quality and the individual taking it
- Take Tribulus on an empty stomach for the best results, allowing the body to digest Tribulus in isolation
- Follow this with a meal 30+ minutes later should becoming nauseous be an issue for you
- Taking Tribulus prior to working out may enhance Tribulus's potential anabolic effects
- Taking Tribulus daily without missing days is the most important
- Tribulus may be used together with muscle-building supplements including Ecdysteroids or Methoxy Isoflavone
- Cycle Tribulus for maximum effectiveness & safety, cycle lengths and doses can vary depending on the individual
Benefits of Tribulus
Tribulus terrestris is a plant that has been used in Ayurvedic medicine and throughout Eastern Europe, for thousands of years. It was used to enhance libido, strength and stamina, and more generally as an adaptogen, to protect the body from the effects of stress.
Tribulus caught the attention of the Western world in the 1970s after Bulgarian weightlifters attributed their domination of the sport to the effects of this plant. Since then, it has become a major ingredient in testosterone-boosting supplements, and other natural remedies designed to boost libido and strength. It has also been studied extensively by Western scientists, who identified an active compound within the plant called protodioscin. Protodioscin is a steroidal saponin, which means it has a similar structure to the steroid hormones secreted by our own bodies, however, it does not work in the same manner.
Instead, it is thought that this all-natural plant extract is able to stimulate the production of Luteinising Hormone (LH) in the body's pituitary gland. These higher levels of LH in turn signal the Leydig Cells in the testes to increase the production of testosterone.
In addition, Tribulus has been shown to have a positive effect on the number of testosterone receptors in the cells. This means that the body not only produces more testosterone but becomes more sensitive to its effects. Testosterone, of course, is the holy grail of bodybuilding, because it is widely known to enhance the body's ability to build muscle and strength. Tribulus is not a hormone, instead, it works by maximising the body's own natural hormone production. So it is a safe and legal way to optimise performance and muscle gains. On top of this, recent research has shown that using Tribulus may lower blood sugar and reduce cholesterol.
How to Take Tribulus
Tribulus is most commonly sold as a concentrated extract that has been standardised for the dosage of protodioscin. Because Tribulus has a distinctive earthy taste, it is common to find Tribulus extract in packaged capsule form, although powdered extract, and even powdered whole root, is not uncommon.
Doses in the range of 200-500mg of Tribulus extract per day are common for men who want to optimise testosterone production, although this will vary according to the strength of the extract and the manufacturer's recommendations. Doses of the whole powdered root are much higher, and some men may take more than 10g per day.
Tribulus is a very popular inclusion in testosterone boosters because it can work synergistically with other muscle-building supplements like Ecdysteroids, ZMA, Methoxy-7-isoflavone or Horny Goat Weed.
Tribulus can take up to two weeks to have an effect on testosterone levels, but a lot of men will notice a boost in their libido within the first week of use. To prevent the body from adapting to the effects of this powerful testosterone enhancer, it is best to take a break once in a while. An eight-week cycle followed by two weeks off is an effective way to get the most out of supplementation.
Best Time to Take Tribulus
Tribulus is best absorbed on an empty stomach and may be taken in a single daily dose half an hour before a meal. Doing this shall allow the body to digest the raw ingredient fast and without competition from other substances, sending your entire system a very clear message as to what it is. From there your smart and intuitive body shall respond accordingly providing an appropriate reaction. Now, the purpose of following with a meal 30 minutes later is to minimise any nauseous feeling that may come. If however, you find you can take it without the meal, this may be an even better option. Ideally, Tribulus should be taken around the same time daily. The most important with Tribulus is you don't miss a day.
Some men believe dosing before a workout is beneficial, but others find this makes no difference. Some studies indicate the daily timing of Tribulus is not the most important factor i.e. what time of the day it is taken. More studies are needed on this point before any firm conclusion may be drawn.
What counts though is one takes it on an empty stomach, prior to a meal & that it's taken daily without missing days.
Should I Cycle Tribulus
If you are considering using Tribulus Terrestris, you may wonder whether it's necessary to cycle the supplement & what an ideal cycle would look like. Cycling Tribulus Terrestris means taking the supplement for a set period of time, followed by a break or rest period before resuming use. This can help prevent your body from developing a tolerance to the supplement & maintain its effectiveness over time.
An ideal cycle for Tribulus Terrestris can vary depending on the individual & the specific product being used. However, a common cycle is to take the supplement for 6-8 weeks, followed by a 2-4 week break before starting a new cycle. It's important to follow the manufacturer's recommended dosage & cycle instructions to ensure the supplement is used safely and effectively.
Here are some additional common cycling periods for Tribulus Tribulus:
- 4-6 weeks on, 2-4 weeks off: This is a popular cycle for many supplements, including Tribulus Terrestris. It allows for a period of use followed by a break to prevent the body from developing a tolerance to the supplement.
- 8-12 weeks on, 4 weeks off: This cycle is a bit longer and may be appropriate for individuals who are looking to maximize the benefits of Tribulus over a longer period of time. However, a longer cycle may increase the risk of side effects or other adverse reactions.
- 2 weeks on, 1 week off: This is a shorter cycle that may be appropriate for individuals who are sensitive to the effects of Tribulus or who experience side effects when taking them.
- Continuous use: Some individuals choose to take Tribulus continuously without any rest periods. However, this approach may increase the risk of developing a tolerance to it & reduce its effectiveness over time. Furthermore, taking a rest period may increase the risk of unwanted side effects. As such & for users taking Tribulus for a longer period taking cycling is recommended.
Taking Tribulus: In Conclusion
In conclusion, Tribulus Terrestris is a popular herbal supplement that is used for its potential benefits in boosting testosterone levels & improving athletic performance. The optimal daily dose of Tribulus extract varies depending on the extract quality & the individual taking it.
For best results, it is recommended to take Tribulus on an empty stomach, followed by a meal 30+ minutes later if nausea is an issue. Tribulus also may be taken prior to working out to enhance its potential anabolic effects. It is important to take Tribulus daily without missing days to maintain its effectiveness.
To prevent the body from developing a tolerance to Tribulus, it is recommended to cycle the supplement, & the ideal cycle length can vary depending on the individual and product being used. From a safety always follow the manufacturer's label instructions and or speak with a healthcare professional.
- Neychev, V., & Mitev, V. (2005). Pro-sexual and androgen enhancing effects of Tribulus terrestris L.: Fact or Fiction. Journal of ethnopharmacology, 101(1-3), 137-142.
- Gauthaman, K., & Ganesan, A. P. (2008). The hormonal effects of Tribulus terrestris and its role in the management of male erectile dysfunction--an evaluation using primates, rabbit and rat. Phytomedicine, 15(1-2), 44-54.
- Santos, A. A., Souza, L. R., Santos, H. O., & Costa, R. A. (2019). Tribulus terrestris L. Improves Healing of Full-Thickness Skin Defects: A Morphometric and Histological Analysis. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2019.
- Qureshi, A., Naughton, D. P., & Petroczi, A. (2014). A systematic review on the herbal extract Tribulus terrestris and the roots of its putative aphrodisiac and performance enhancing effect. Journal of dietary supplements, 11(1), 64-79.