With MusclePharm’s popularity continuing to skyrocket, their recent announcement of a collaboration effort with legendary bodybuilder, actor and Californian Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has made waves within the industry and outside of it. With a range of products in the new Arnold Series, one of the most prominent is the Arnold Series’ mass gaining and bulking protein – Iron Mass.
MusclePharm Arnold Series Iron Mass Highlights
- Innovative formula featuring a novel mix of carbohydrates, proteins and fats including Hydrolysed Beef Protein, Sweet Potato Powder & Whipped Cream Powder.
- 485 calories per 2 scoops with 34g Carbs, 40g Protein, 21g Fat and only 1g of Saturated Fat.
- Low in Sugar
- Addition of digestive enzymes and fibre to support digestion, absorption and gut health.
MusclePharm Arnold Series Iron Mass Ingredients & Dosages
MusclePharm Arnold Series Iron Mass is perhaps the most interesting and revolutionary supplement out of the entire range. Iron Mass is predominantly made up of the ‘Iron Mass Proprietary Blend’, a 71.5g blend which contains 5 different matrices of ingredients including:
- Elite Complex Carbohydrates Matrix – Containing Sweet Potato Powder & Barley Starch.
- Muscle Plasma Protein Matrix – Containing Hydrolysed Beef Protein & Lactoferrin.
- High Performance Healthy Fats Matrix – Sunflower Oil Powder, Whipped Cream Powder, MCT Powder from Coconut.
- Performance Growth & Muscle Volumizer – Creatine Monohydrate, L-Glycine, BCAA Nitrates and D-Ribose.
- Pro Digest Blend – A range of digestive enzymes, Inulin and Fructooligosaccharides.
Iron Mass is available in 5lb or 2.2kg with a recommended serving size of 2 scoops measuring 95g. This recommended serve provides 485 calories, 21g Fat, 34g Carbs and 40g Protein
MusclePharm Arnold Series Iron Mass Pros & Effectiveness
Iron Mass is definitely one of the standout products from the entire Arnold Series. Let’s take a look at the positives of each complex:
- Elite Complex Carbohydrates Matrix – A great blend of complex carbohydrates with a low glycaemic index which will help to provide energy without massive insulin spikes.
- Muscle Plasma Protein Matrix – An interesting choice of proteins, this blend provides a huge range of bioactive proteins, peptides and growth factors than regular protein. An excellent blend for recovery, muscle growth and immune health.
- High Performance Healthy Fats Matrix – One of the most interesting blends of fats providing an excellent ratio of healthy unsaturated fats to saturated with only 1g of saturated fat and 1g of trans fat per serve.
- Performance Growth & Muscle Volumiser – This unique combination of amino acids, creatine and ribose helps to assist energy production, muscle protein synthesis and support volumisation of cells by drawing water in.
- Pro Digest Blend – An excellent range of digestive enzymes and fibres to support improved digestion and absorption of the ingredients in Iron Mass and for overall GI health.
The best thing about Iron Mass is that it is a really potent and compact source of nutrients and calories without being too bulky so as to limit your regular intake. The macronutrient breakdown of the supplement makes it perfect for any type of gainer from the hard gainer to the person wanting a lean gainer.
MusclePharm Arnold Series Iron Mass Cons
Iron Mass has very few negatives as a supplement. The main one would be the use of only one protein source. While the protein source is an excellent source of protein peptides and other bioactive compounds, it is an extremely fast absorbing protein, which can limit the time of amino acid delivery. Not a huge deal for anyone bulking and consuming plenty of meals, but still a factor to consider. Fructooligosaccharides, while beneficial for gut health can result in bloating and flatulence, which may be uncomfortable. The fat content is rather high, which over time can result in fat gain, however studies have shown diets higher in healthy unsaturated fats tend to result in better body compositions than diets higher in saturated fats. One can also minimise fat gain by adjusting their exercise routine.
MusclePharm Arnold Series Iron Mass Taste & Mixability
MusclePharm Arnold Iron Mass is available in 2 flavours; Chocolate Malt and Vanilla Malt. Unlike Carnivor, the only other protein to use beef protin, Iron Mass has a sweet but enjoyable taste without any sourness or aftertaste. The shake is rather creamy with a bit of frothing due to the oils and the carbohydrate complex, however mixes well with no residue.
MusclePharm Arnold Series Iron Mass Verdict
MusclePharm’s Iron Mass is a weight gainer that is just like the legendary bodybuilder himself. Bold, different and full of verve. The choice of ingredients may be odd, but sometimes supplements have to step outside the box in order to achieve greatness. As a weight gainer and mass gaining protein, Iron Mass provides an excellent range of macronutrients as well as other nutrients to support some serious gains and boosts in exercise performance. The Arnold Series Iron Mass is by far the best and most innovative of all the supplements in the range and perhaps even among most of the mass gainers on the market today.