Quick Summary Points
- Dynamine or methylliberine is a pure alkaloid compound structurally related to caffeine that functions to boost energy, focus, mood & oxygen uptake.
- Naturally found in a variety of coffee species and in Kuding Extract.
- Commonly found in pre-workouts or fat burners in its trademarked form Dynamine™.
- Compared to caffeine, Dynamine is faster acting and has longer duration allowing trainers to stay focused and energised to push through any tough workouts.
- Dynamine is a safer alternative to the now banned high-stim & synthetic ingredients DMAA, DMBA, Amp Citrate, N-methyltyramine & Phenylethylamine (PEA).
- From November 30th 2020 Dynamine™ is banned in Australia.
What is Dynamine™?
Dynamine™, also referred to as methylliberine is said to be a rapid-onset, high impact ingredient that functions to boost energy, focus and mood. Dynamine is considered a pure alkaloid that is naturally occurring and fast-acting. It is in the methylurate family since its molecular structure is closer to theacrine (aka TeaCrine®) than to caffeine.
While published clinical research regarding this ingredient is scrace at this stage, it is showing promising properties as a high-stim pre-workout ingredient in supplements such as pre-workouts and fat burners.
Where Does Dynamine™ Come From?
Dynamine™ or methylliberine is naturally found in a variety of coffee species including Coffea arabica and Coffea canephora (robusta).
Methylliberine can also be found in caffeine-containing beverages such as tea, guarana, yerba mate and cocoa.
In addition, studies have indicated that methylliberine can also be synthesised from green coffee beans.
At the time of writing, Dynamine™ has also been found in Kuding Extract; more commonly known as a bitter-tasting Chinese tea extract. Kuding tea extract has been used in traditional Chinese medicine to help prevent metabolic disorders that can cause obesity as well as lower blood glucose levels for Type 2 diabetes patients.
Dynamine™ Benefits for Bodybuilding
Because Dynamine™ is one of the compounds found in coffee beans, it possesses similar physiological properties to caffeine and theacrine.
Although there hasn’t been any evidence as yet for Dynamine™ offering specific ergogenic benefits, it does have similar effects to caffeine. In saying this, Dynamine™ may be able to help improve energy and promote better focus in terms of performance.
Dynamine Side Effects, Negatives & Safety
Dynamine™ possesses similar side effects to caffeine or theacrine. Like theacrine, methylliberine is not believed to raise heart rate, and improve feelings of energy, mood and focus by activating dopamine receptors and inhibiting adenosine.
If you have high blood pressure or heart rate or are on medication for either, you should avoid using stimulants until you have been cleared by your healthcare provider. While most stimulants can offer positive benefits, they also come with their share of negative effects, which vary by dose and according to a person’s tolerance and sensitivity.
Dynamine™ Recommended Dosage & Ingredients
While Dynamine™ exhibits stimulant properties, it’s recommended for users who are wanting to increase energy and alertness at a rapid pace.
There is currently no standard dose quantity and frequency for Dynamine™, but based on our experience we expect it to be similar to theacrine.
The standard dose ranges from (200mg-400mg). If though combined with other stimulants this should be reduced.
Most users have seen Dynamine™ appearing in Australia. It is found mainly in high-stim pre-workouts and fat burning supplements & was widely available prior to 2020 Australian legislation changes.
Although Dynamine™ is regarded as a stimulant, it can be still be stacked with other fat burners. However, if you are already consuming supplements that contain stimulants, it may be best to avoid further use of other caffeine containing supplements.
Dynamine™ - DMHA Alternative
Whilst there are many individual benefits of Dynamine™, one of the main highlights of this super-stimulant is that it is one of the most powerful legal alternatives to the banned DMHA.
Dynamine™ delivers focused energy without the jitters or crash associated with many of its predecessors and is our favourite DMHA alternative.
For that matter Dynamine™ is an excellent alternative stimulant for many if not all of the now banned high-stimulant synthetic ingredients including but not limited to DMAA, DMBA, Amp Citrate, N-methyltyramine & Phenylethylamine (PEA).
Dynamine™ Banned Australia
Dynamine™ (methylliberine) is banned for use in sports supplements from November 2020. This regulatory change comes after the issue of the "Therapeutic Goods (Declared Goods) Amendment (Sports Supplements) Order 2020" by Australian The Department of Health.
(1) Ashihara, H., & Crozier, A. (2001). Caffeine: a well known but little mentioned compound in plant science. Trends in plant science, 6(9), 407-413
(2) Wesensten, N. J. (2014). Legitimacy of concerns about caffeine and energy drink consumption. Nutrition reviews, 72(suppl 1), 78-86.
(3) Peters, J. M. (1967). Factors affecting caffeine toxicity: a review of the literature.The Journal of Clinical Pharmacology and the Journal of New Drugs, 7(3), 131-141.
(4) Ashihara H, Suzuki T (2004) Distribution and biosynthesis of caffeine in plants. Front. Biosci. 9: 1864-1876.