Quick Summary Points
- Bulbine natalensis is a herbal extract originating in South Africa with a long traditional history of use as an aphrodisiac & as an instant first-aid remedy
- Bulbine is often used for sexual dysfunction challenges & to improve the male libido
- In animal studies Bulbine natalensis has been shown to increase natural testosterone production
- Effective doses of bulbine natalensis are thought to be in the vicinity of 500-700mg
- Bulbine may be found as a stand-alone supplement in Australia however is not common
- For best results Bulbine is often synergistically stacked with other testosterone herbal extracts like Tribulus, Tongkat Ali & Fenugreek
- Bulbine is mostly sought out & used by men
What is Bulbine?
Bulbine natalensis is a powerful herbal extract belonging to the Asphodelaceae plant family. With a long history of traditional use in South Africa, it's been revered for its aphrodisiac properties and has been applied to treat various conditions, including diabetes. Additionally, it has proven effective in alleviating mosquito bites, healing wounds, cold sores, and cracked skin. In the world of supplements, Bulbine is of interest for its ability to naturally increase testosterone production and boost libido.
Where Does Bulbine Come From?
Native to South Africa, Bulbine natalensis thrives in the form of aloe-like succulent plants. Recognizable by their rosette-shaped leaves and yellow spiked, star-shaped flowers, these plants can easily propagate and grow up to 30 cm in height.
Apart from being an effective aphrodisiac, Bulbine has a wide range of medicinal properties. It's renowned for its ability to provide instant first-aid relief, much like aloe vera, making it ideal for treating mosquito bites, wounds, and cracked skin.
Bulbine Benefits for Athletes
Several studies in rats have shown that bulbine natalensis is effective at raising testosterone and luteinizing hormone levels and associated sexual function. This is the quality for which it is included in testosterone booster supplements and similar other supplements designed to treat sexual dysfunction and low libido. A study was performed on male lab rats where four groups were given doses or placebo of 25, 50 or 100mg/kg body weight of bulbine extract. At the end of the 14-day study, the rats in the 50mg/kg body weight group had shown the highest androgenic and anabolic effects.
In addition to elevating testosterone levels, extracts of Bulbine significantly also increase the levels of other reproductive hormones like progesterone, luteinising hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone. Each hormone plays a significant role in regulating males' sperm production and testosterone production. Many athletes utilise Bulbine natalensis for its potential in increasing muscular development, strength and testicular cholesterol which is essential to produce new testosterone. Furthermore, if your goal is to build lean muscle mass while supporting natural levels; bulbine may be a useful option to consider.
Bulbine Dosage, Side Effects & Safety
Effective doses of bulbine natalensis are thought to be in the vicinity of 500-700mg for humans, with beneficial effects noticeable within 7 days of supplementation. The recommended guideline for consuming bulbine is to take it once a day first thing in the morning. In terms of side effects, bulbine has been shown to have a negative effect on the liver and kidneys. One toxicology study revealed that rats given oral doses of 25, 50, and 100mg/kg had altered liver enzymes as well as histological changes in the liver. Thereby, we recommend anyone using bulbine continue using it consistently for 4-8 weeks before taking a break. As for safety, there have been insufficient studies to support the safety of bulbine due to the limited human research performed on the herb.
Although Bulbine can be found in some supplements, it may be under-dosed. For optimal results, it's recommended to consume Bulbine as a standalone supplement or combine it with a testosterone booster containing a variety of ingredients. One such product available in Australia is Elemental Nutrition Massive Muscle Fuel, which includes Bulbine Natalensis along with other excellent ingredients.
Stacking Bulbine Supplements
With its potential benefits for workout performance, testosterone and recovery. Bulbine is an excellent herbal extract to stack your supplements with. Bulbine natalensis is often found combined with other popular testosterone-boosting herbal extracts such as Tribulus terrestris Tongkat Ali and Fenugreek. Other supplements that you can stack it with include vitamins or other anti-inflammatory compounds like omega-3 fatty acids, glucosamine or chondroitin to maximise the benefits of pain relief.
Bulbine natalensis is a powerful herbal extract with a rich history of traditional use in South Africa as an aphrodisiac & first-aid remedy. Today, it has gained popularity for its ability to address sexual dysfunction, boost libido, & potentially elevate testosterone levels.
Ultimately, while Bulbine natalensis shows promise, further research & individual responses will shed more light on its true potential in supporting overall well-being & performance. As the scientific landscape evolves, staying informed about the latest findings will be crucial for making informed decisions about incorporating Bulbine into one's health regimen.
1. Afolayan, AJ et al. Effect of Bulbine natalensis Baker stem extract on the functional indices and histology of the liver and kidney of male Wistar rats. J Med Food. 2009; 12(4): 814-20
2. Yakubu M, Afolayan A. Effect of aqueous extract of Bulbine natalensis (Baker) stem on the sexual behaviour of male rats. Int J Androl.
3. Hofheins, JE et al. Short term safety of bulbine natalensis supplementation in healthy men. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2012; 9(Suppl 1): 33