Bodybuilding has demonstrated positive effects, one of which is its effect on depression.
What Is Depression?
Depression is unfortunately an all too common mental disorder which affects people of all ages and backgrounds.
Symptoms of Depression
Signs and severity can vary between people, and include ongoing sad mood, irritability, loss of interest or pleasure general, lack of concentration, irregular sleep, low self worth and energy. Depression is chronic or recurrent and can impair one’s life, even to the point of suicide
Common Forms of Depression
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). SAD leads to sufferers experiencing a more serious reaction when summer changes to autumn and on to winter. This includes eating more in the colder period, as well as sleeping more.
- Cabin Fever. This is when a person feels isolated for an ongoing period. Symptoms include restlessness, irritability and forgetfulness. Treatment includes light box therapy to help you manage this. It can occur either at Winter or Summer.
- Postpartum Depression. This can occur in women who have recently given birth. It interferes with the mother's ability to bond with her child, and qualified help is important at this difficult time.
- Postpartum Psychosis. This is a mental illness, indicated by psychotic symptoms following childbirth. Postpartum psychosis is more serious than postpartum depression. The sufferer experiences emotional stress and exhibits unusual behaviour not seen before.
- Bipolar Disorder. This is a condition where abnormally elevated and depressed states occur for short, or long time periods, and affect the sufferer’s function. It is believed to occur as a result of a chemical imbalance in the brain.
Causes of Depression
Depression is not always caused by a single factor, in fact it may be caused by a combination of causes. Serious events such as death of a loved one, major illness, and financial difficulty can either trigger or worsen your depression.
Bodybuilding Beats Depression
Bodybuilding has many positive effects which can help someone suffering from depression. The endorphins released form training can help elevate mood. Bodybuilding can give the person something to look forward to. Seeing changes in your body can help enhance self esteem and self perception. In short, bodybuilding is a great reason to get out of the house and has many benefits to offer. Suffering depression - try a gym session today.