Musashi is one of the biggest and largest Australian based companies in Australia. Now backed by food giant Nestle, Musashi have cultivated a huge range of products respected by athletes the world over. One of their best ranges within their hundreds of supplements is their “Musashi Bulk” range, which currently includes 4 products but will expand to a fifth with the release of their latest product; Musashi Bulk Extreme. Let’s review what’s in their latest bulk product and see how it differs between the various products in the range.
Musashi Bulk Extreme Highlights
- 423 Calories Per Serve
- 5 Protein Blend with Whey Protein Concentrate, Full Cream & Skim Milk Powder, Whey Protein Isolate and Sodium Caseinate.
- Maltodextrin & Medium Chain Triglycerides for Quick Energy
Musashi Bulk Extreme Ingredients & Dosage
Musashi Bulk Extreme is a relatively simple supplement and is a protein for hard gainers, almost doubling the calories of other Bulk products. In terms of ingredients, Musashi Bulk Extreme contains:
- Protein Blend – Bulk Extreme contains a lot more proteins than both the Bulk Advanced Muscle Formula and the Bulk Mass Gain Protein Blend. The Bulk Extreme protein blend consists of 5 proteins including whey protein concentrate (WPC), full cream milk powder, skim milk powder, whey protein isolate (WPI) and sodium caseinate.
- Carbohydrate Blend – Bulk Extreme’s carbohydrates blend consists mostly of maltodextrins. Some of the carbohydrate content comes from glucose syrup, but this is more for flavouring rather than function.
- Lipid & Fat Blend – Musashi Bulk Extreme’s fat content comes mostly from medium chain triglycerides or MCTs.
The rest of the ingredients in Musashi Bulk Extreme include sweeteners, flavours and some ingredients to improve shelf life, texture and mixability. Musashi Bulk Extreme currently comes in a 2.25kg tub with 45 servings of 50g each, however the recommended serving size is 100g. Each serving provides 423 calories;
Musashi Bulk Extreme Pros & Effectiveness
Musashi Bulk Extreme is an excellent mass gaining protein providing a better protein mix than both the other two Bulk products. Bulk Extreme provides a blend of fast and slow digesting and absorbing proteins which helps to sustain amino acid delivery to the muscles for a longer period of time. Using different protein types also helps to provide a range of bioactive compounds usually found in less processed milk proteins. The use of maltodextrin makes Bulk Extreme perfect as a post-workout product helping to refuel the body’s glycogen stores extra fast. MCT’s are an excellent fat source and one of the easiest to digest fat types; assisting in its ability to support recovery processes and exercise performance rather than to be stored.
Musashi Bulk Extreme Cons
There are very few negatives with Musashi Bulk Extreme. It could do with some different carbohydrate types to prevent large fluctuations in insulin levels, but overall, the supplement provides an excellent ratio of macronutrients and is on par with Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex Gainer as one of the better mass gainers.
Musashi Bulk Extreme Taste & Mixability
Bulk Extreme currently comes in the one flavour; Chocolate. The supplement is a bit gritty due to the protein blend; but not unpleasantly so. Musashi Bulk Extreme tastes like a moderately thick, flavoured chocolate milk and is definitely one of the best tasting mass gainers around.
Musashi Bulk Extreme Verdict
Musashi Bulk Extreme is a good mass gainer for medium to hard gainers and provides an excellent ratio of macronutrients and a well rounded protein blend. The addition of MCT’s is perhaps the key point of difference between it and the Bulk Mass Gain Protein Blend. The lack of any real difference makes Bulk Extreme a fairly tame release from Musashi; but nevertheless it’s a product that will get you results.