- Clean and simple formula designed to amplify energy, focus and pump
- Key clinically dosed ingredients per full serving (2 scoops); 320mg of Caffeine, 5000mg of pure L-Citrulline, 3200mg of Beta-alanine & 500mg of L-Tyrosine
- Option to take 1 scoop for those users sensitive to caffeine or new users to pre workouts
- Extremely effective for energy, focus, vasodilation & strength whilst working out
- Manufactured by one of Australia's most trusted & established supplement brands
- Available in 3 great tasting flavours, the grape flavour being the most popular
In today's market, pre-workout supplements have become ever so popular with a massive range to pick and choose from. The Max's brand has had their signature pre-workout "Betapump" for some time now and after a few editions, it is now available in its strongest and best form, Max's Betapump Compound X. Let's take a closer look into what this pre-workout has to offer and give you readers an honest review on what we think.
Maxs Betapump Compound-X Ingredients
When shopping for a new pre-workout the first thing I tend to do even before admiring the amazing packaging is go through the ingredients list with a fine-tooth comb. Betapump Compound X ditches a proprietary blend and thankfully shows an open-label listing of each ingredient along with the exact dosage. Nothing is hidden in this pre-workout. This is ideal in knowing exactly what you are consuming along with knowing if each ingredient is dosed correctly for effectiveness and most importantly if that pre-workout suits your personal needs. To keep this review straight to the point without dragging on forever, more spotlight will be given to the key ingredients backed by the most research. Time for some nerd talk, let's get into it! Betapump is labeled into 3 performance categories. This simply makes it easier for your eyes when scrolling at all the scientific-sounding ingredients.
1. Vasodilation & Pump Complex - L-Citrulline (5000mg), Betaine Anhydrous (1500mg), Agmatine Sulfate (200mg) Vasodilation, in short, is the widening of blood vessels and is a mechanism to improve blood flow to the muscles. This can also be known as the "pump" in good old bodybuilding terms. Who doesn't love a good pump? It makes your muscles look good, feel good and if you're training properly, it is good! The majority of your pump will come from this first ingredient L-Citrulline, dosed within a clinical amount of 5000mg (5g). L-Citrulline plays a vital role in the process of reproducing nitric oxide in the body which is important for enhancing blood flow to the working muscles. This improves athletic performance by increasing power output, reducing fatigue, and improving endurance for both aerobic and anaerobic exercise. Next is 1500mg of Betaine Anhydrous added in for its potential to promote cell hydration and blood flow within the muscle. Other potential benefits include improvements in strength, power, and muscle endurance. The last ingredient in this category is 200mg of Agmatine Sulphate added for its potential to regulate elevated levels of nitric oxide.
2. Energy, Power & Lactic Acid Buffering Complex - Beta-Alanine (3200mg), Potassium Citrate (400mg), Caffeine Anhydrous (320mg), Green Tea Extract (100mg), Guarana Extract (75mg), Astragin Extract (50mg), Naringin (15mg) Sometimes less is more when it comes to formulating an effective pre-workout. Betapump Compound X doesn't contain a million different types of over-hyped stimulants but instead, there is a simple energy matrix coming from 320mg of Caffeine, 75mg of Guarana, and 100mg of Green Tea extract. Caffeine is one of the highest consumed substances across the globe and is primarily used in pre-workouts for a good reason. Typically in amounts of 200mg and over, caffeine has been shown to boost physical strength, cardio performance, and reaction times, along with lowering the perception of fatigue during exercise. Although dosages should be tailored to the individual's tolerance. The next clinically dosed ingredient is 3200mg of Beta-Alanine which has been shown to enhance muscular endurance. Many people report being able to perform one or two extra repetitions when training in sets of 8-15 reps. Beta-alanine can also improve cardiovascular exercise performance, like rowing or sprinting. While beta-alanine is popular in pre-workouts, supplementation is actually not timing-dependent and should be consumed daily at any time to reap its full benefits. Probably a better idea to buy pure beta-alanine separately to achieve this. Finishing touches are added from the ingredients Potassium citrate (electrolyte), Naringin (potent antioxidant), and Astragin (helps increase nutrient absorption).
3. Cognition & Focus Complex - L-Tyrosine (500mg), Alpha GPC (Alpha-glycerophosphocholine 100mg), Niacinamide (15mg) Lastly, we have added nootropics also known as cognitive enhancers. Used as another pathway to improve mental alertness and concentration without ramping up the caffeine too high. L-Tyrosine is an amino acid that boosts brain function, improves concentration, as well as helping the mind cope more effectively under stress. This added 500mg of L-Tyrosine works well alongside caffeine to further improve and create that "tunnel vision" focus. Although a little more would have been better as clinical doses of L-Tyrosine can range from 500-3000mg. Next is 100mg of Alpha GPC, an ingredient that appears to increase cognitive function and is still proving its effectiveness through more human research. And the last ingredient, 15mg of Niacinamide, a good old fashion B3 Vitamin, is added in for optimal brain function.
Betapump Compound-X Dosage
Max's Betapump Compound X contains 25 full servings. 1 full serving is based on 2 scoops which will give you the full amount of ingredients listed on the back panel. The key active ingredients that stand out are 320mg of Caffeine, 5000mg of L-Citrulline, 3200mg of Beta-Alanine, and 500mg of L-Tyrosine per 2 scoops, all of which are dosed within the clinical range. From this, users have the freedom to adjust the serving size according to their preferences. If new or sensitive to taking pre-workouts, it is highly recommended to assess tolerance and just take 1 scoop (half dosage) roughly 15-30 minutes before exercise. This equates to roughly 160mg of Caffeine and 2500mg L-Citrulline, still enough for users to feel a boost in energy and improve blood flow. Once tolerance has been reached, users can take the full dosage (2 scoops) for maximum effect.
Max's Betapump Compound-X Benefits & Results
For this review, I specifically waited to try Betapump Compound X on a day with no work or other commitments so I could try the full serving of 2 scoops in the first half of the day and comment on my experience. Within 15 minutes of consumption, already I could feel the caffeine kicking in very fast. During the working sets, I definitely felt stronger as I wasn't struggling as much to move a certain weight that would normally feel heavier on days without taking pre-workout. Blood flow was great and the pumps were very noticeable and long-lasting. After heavy compound lifts, there was still plenty of petrol left in the tank to keep going for other isolation exercises. Personally, I am a little sensitive to stimulants so I did find the caffeine level strong and felt the energy for more than 2 hours. Thankfully there was felt little to no crash afterwards although it's definitely a hit or miss with other pre-workouts. Overall a great pre-workout that achieved what it was supposed to do.
Compound-X Side Effects & Caffeine
Due to the simple and clean formula of Max's Betapump Compound-X, there should be few side effects experienced by users but there are still some general things to look out for. Most pre-workouts today including Betapump contain beta-alanine and if you ever wonder why your skin feels tingly and itchy after drinking pre-workout it's because of that ingredient. Don't be alarmed by this, it's a normal and harmless side effect and should settle after roughly 15 - 20 minutes. Depending on your caffeine tolerance and how your body reacts to it, the full serving of 320mg of caffeine plus guarana and green tea extract found in Betapump may overstimulate others, causing a "crash" or "come down" feeling after a prolonged surge of energy. High amounts of caffeine although good for performance can also increase heart rate, blood pressure and cause anxiety in some people so keep that in mind. Also be mindful of the time you take Caffeine, especially for those training in the late afternoon as your quality of sleep may be affected. Be sure not to consume it within 6 hours of bedtime.
Betapump Compound-X Flavours
Long gone are the days when users had to pinch their nose and scull down their pre-workout because of how unpleasant they use to taste. Fortunately, Max's have been around the supplement game for a long time now and definitely know how to make great-tasting products. Betapump Compound X is available in three awesome flavours, "Blue Bullet" (blue raspberry), "Grape Grenade" (grape of course) and "Rainbow Rush" (rainbow flavoured candy). Having tried all, Grape Grenade is the fan favourite here. A little tip from us here at Mr Supplement, do yourself a favour and mix Max's Betapump Compound X (grape flavour) in sparkling cold water, it tastes like a grape soda!
In recent times, the pre-workout market has been invaded with high-stim formulas and it's almost a competition over which brand can deliver the highest energy combo. Although it seems like Max's have gone against the grain with a different approach for their Betapump Compound X. The formula is clean, simple yet effective that contains key researched ingredients that support increased energy, focus, and blood flow. All of which are important aspects of a great workout. There are only a few ingredients in here that are still validating with more research, although it is good to see Max's sticking with the ingredients that simply work all packaged together in a great-tasting formula.