Twisting Crunches - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Multi-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Abdominals and Obliques
Twisting crunches target the upper abs and obliques providing an advanced option for those wanting to increase their ab workout. Twisting Crunches are particularly beneficial when making the transition from regular sit ups to crunches using an incline bench. They can also be performed at a variety of angles including inclined, flat or declined, depending on the amount of desired resistance.You will definitely see results in your ab definition if you complete this exercise in a controlled and deliberate manner.
Twisting Crunches - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Take position with your back, making contact with the floor and your legs elevated on a flat bench in front of you.
- Touch your hands to your ears with your elbows facing outwards, and curl your trunk up toward your knees, rounding out your back. Twist your torso so that your right elbow comes across your torso and touches your left knee. Pause.
- In a controlled manner, return to the starting position.
- Repeat, this time twisting to the opposite direction, bringing your left elbow towards your right knee.
- Alternate as described above for the prescribed amount of reps then rest.
Twisting Crunches - Tips & Safety
- Make sure each movement is slow, controlled and deliberate in order to feel the burn.
- Secure your feet under a roller pad or a similar support in order to maintain stability.
- Ensure that your torso is vertically up right in the top position and that each elbow almost touches the opposite knee when twisting.
- Contract your abs as you reach the top of each motion and resist on the way down to achieve the best results for this exercise.
Twisting Crunches - Alternatives
- Place your feet on a higher bench to make the exercise more challenging.