Triceps Pushdowns - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Single-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Triceps
The aim of the Tricep Cable Pushdown is to work the triceps through a full rage of motion paying particular attention to the lateral head. When doing this exercise the shoulders are extended slightly to shift the focus toward the lateral head. The benefit of a cable exercise is the constant tension that it places on the muscles throughout the whole range of motion.
Triceps Pushdowns - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Stand facing a Cable Machine with an upright posture, the natural curve of the spine maintained throughout and your elbows locked under the line of your shoulders.
- Attach a short bar to the overhead level of the machine.
- Place your hands over the bar with your palms facing down.
- Exhale and push the bar down feeling your triceps contract. Hold.
- Allow the bar to come up, but in a controlled manner, preventing the weight from hitting the stack.
- Repeat for the specified rep range.
Triceps Pushdowns - Tips & Safety
- Keep the movement strict and controlled throughout.
Triceps Pushdowns - Exercise Alternatives
- Try different bars/ropes and hands widths for a different focus on the three heads of the triceps.