Standing Tricep Press - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Single-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Triceps
The Standing Tricep Press is one of those exercises which uses minimal technique but is really effective for teaching control. It also effectively isolates the inner muscles and will make your triceps look full along the entire sweep, complimenting your biceps. The standing technique allows you to cheat and thus lift heavier weight. It is also a great way to help you focus on activation of your core to maintain posture during the exercise.
Standing Tricep Press - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Take hold of the straight barbell bar with your palms facing down, approximately 25 cm apart.
- Stand straight with the curve of your lower spine maintained, raising the barbell above you.
- Lock your elbows beside your head and bring the weight down behind you as you inhale.
- Exhale and push the barbell back above you, feeling the contraction in the triceps.
- Repeat for the desired repetition range.
Standing Tricep Press - Tips & Safety
- Keep the movement strict and controlled throughout - only the forearms should be moving throughout the exercise.
- Try not to overload the weight when first trying this exercise.
- Keep the elbows close to the head.
- For heavier weights, consider having someone pass you the barbell to prevent strain getting into the starting position.
- This exercise is not recommended for people with elbow or shoulder pains.
Standing Tricep Press - Alternatives
- Try this exercise with an E-Z bar, or a floor-level rope attached to a cable pulley machine to add variety to your training.
- Using a single dumbbell is also another good alternative.