Species Nutrition is a relatively new company when it comes to bodybuilding and sports supplements. Still building their name, they’ve already amassed a large product range with over 10 products in their range. One of their older products is their whey protein isolate Isolyze, which has actually been repackaged recently and given a boost in marketing. Let’s take a look at what Species Isolyze is and how it separates itself from other WPI’s.
Species Isolyze Highlights
- 93% protein content
- Cold microfiltered whey protein to preserve immunoglobulins, lactoferrins and glycomacropeptides.
- Fat free, lactose free and no carbohydrates.
Species Isolyze Ingredients & Dosage
Species Isolyze is an incredibly simple product with only 7 key ingredients. Let’s examine closer the ingredients of Isolyze:
- Whey Protein Isolate – Species Nutrition have utilised a cold microfiltration process to obtain their WPI, which they claim as having kept intact immunoglobulins, lactoferrins and glycomacropeptides, all important and valued components for improved protein synthesis and immune function.
- Flavourings – These include cocoa and ‘natural and artificial’ flavours – an essential part of any flavoured protein powder and what makes having a 100% protein powder almost impossible.
- Xanthan Gum – This ingredient helps provide a textural component and a pleasant mouth feel to the protein shake.
- Salt – Most likely to act as a dessicant and a preservative for improved shelf life – although the absence of fat and carbohydrates makes the product quite shelf stable.
- Sweeteners – Species Nutrition Isolyze contains the two sweeteners sucralose and acesulfame potassium, another almost essential ingredient for the palatability of protein shakes.
Species Isolyze Pros & Effectiveness
By far the biggest pro of Species Isolyze is its inherent simplicity. At over 93% protein, for those wanting a quick boost in their protein levels without necessarily increasing their intake of fat and carbohydrates, this is the perfect protein for you. Perhaps, not the best protein for beginners for this exact reason, Species Isolyze is an excellent protein for serious trainers and athletes.
Species Isolyze Cons
The lack of carbohydrates, fat and other protein sources makes this supplement slightly unsuitable for beginner trainers and those who aren’t well versed in the intricacies of bodybuilding and sports supplementation. While there is obviously a position for an extremely pure WPI in a good supplement regime, without adequate amounts of carbohydrates and fat and other sources of protein, it’ll be hard to meet all your training goals.
Species Isolyze Taste & Mixability
Species Isolyze is surprisingly an extremely nice tasting shake. Not as thick as you would think, the shake is light, not too sweet and mixes extremely well with minimal grittiness, residue or frothing. By far the chocolate is the most popular flavour.
Species Isolyze Verdict
Species Nutrition’s Isolyze is one of the purest WPI protein powders if not the purest on the market today. At over 93% protein, it offers quick absorbing protein to kickstart mucle protein synthesis in a delicious, light shake. Species Isolyze is a protein that isn’t really targeted at beginner trainers, however if you were to use it, it’s important to ensure you consume a meal within 2 hours of supplementing with Isolyze to further aid in the absorption and utilisation of the protein in Isolyze.