Seated Triceps Press - Muscles Worked and Benefits
Exercise Type: Single-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Triceps
This is an excellent exercise for targeting the full sweep of the triceps, particularly the long head in the middle. This exercise is similar to the Standing Tricep Press except that by performing the motion in a seated position you focus more of your effort on each rep rather than trying to maintain good stability when standing.
Seated Triceps Press - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Take hold of a barbell so that your palms are facing down, positioned close together.
- Take position on a bench, bring the barbell above you and your arms extended straight above you.
- Lock your elbows by your head, inhale, and extend the barbell behind you,
- Exhale and squeeze your triceps as you bring the weight back to the top. Pause.
- Complete the desired rep range, rest, then repeat.
Seated Triceps Press - Tips & Safety
- Keep in mind, this exercise, firstly, places excessive stretch on the triceps tendon and, secondly, places the shoulder joint in a vulnerable position for injury - do not perform this exercise if you experience shoulder pain.
- Start with a conservative weight at the start to ensure a full range of motion.
- Keep the elbows locked in the one position throughout and perform the exercise in a controlled manner - ideally only the forearms should be moving.
- For heavier weights, it may be helpful for somebody to pass you the dumbbell to prevent strain getting the weight up to the starting position.
- An overhand grip works the inner head, whereas a neutral grip targets all three heads of the triceps.
Seated Triceps Press - Alternatives
- Try doing this exercise with an E-Z curl bar to add variety to your training.
- This exercise can also be done on a cable via the low cable attachment.