While most bodybuilders are dedicated to training, diet and rest, some choose to engage in less healthy actvities during the weekends when it’s time to party. Recreational drug use has been attributed to deaths of a few famous bodybuilders including Paul De Mayo and Eric Fromm. Recreational drugs attributed to bodybuilders includes marijuana, crystal meth, ecstasy, GHB, and special-K, amongst others.
The Effects of Recreational Drugs
- Marijuana can have a harmful effect on the testicular function in men, therefore its use is discouraged amongst bodybuilders, where testosterone is a crucial tool for muscle building.
- Crystal Meth. A derivation of methamphetamine, is a psycho stimulant, which affects all areas of the brain. Those who use crystal meth get a euphoric feeling known as a high, as well as a huge burst of unstoppable energy and it is very addictive. Addicts suffer from unhealthy complexions, gum disease, and rotted teeth due to this drug depriving the body of vital vitamins and nutrients. Lack of nutrients can also negatively affect your bodies ability to build muscle rendering your workouts useless.
- Ecstasy with its active ingredient MDMA, estcasy is associated by many as the drug of the rave scene. The drug, has a reputation amongst users of promoting feelings of love and oneness. Symptoms of taking ectasy include depression, mood fluctuations and fatigue from excessive movement. The effects may last from 3-7 days, with depression having known to become a chronic condition. Mood changes can affect motivation to work out and fatigue can augment this demotivation. Fatigue itself can also lead to a poorer performance in the gym.
- GHB (Xyrem) Is a central nervous system (CNS) depressant, for use in the treatment of narcolepsy (a sleep disorder). GHB is also a metabolite of the inhibitory neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA), found naturally in the brain, but at concentrations much lower than doses used by abusers of this drug.
- Cocaine speeds up the brain as well as the nervous system, and has a painkilling effect. It is highly addictive, and ongoing use can cause a range of health, financial and social problems.
- Painkillers such as Nubain are used in the beginning to help bodybuilders train harder and longer, but eventually many use it to get a high out of it. Nubain is a synthetic drug, a morphine that is similar to heroin, hence it can be highly addictive.
- Special-K or Ketamine Is known as a ‘dissociative anaesthetic,’ which induces a sedating state, a high sought after by people seeking pain relief and numbness.
Recreational Drugs & Bodybulding Don't Mix
If you value your gains made through bodybuilding, steer clear of recreational drugs. Not only are they often manufactured in dirty, clandestine drug labs, but they may have severe physical and mental side effects. Their addictive tendencies may also result in social and ultimately financial problems. Beware of the hangover effect of these drugs, which may cause you to skip training sessions and suppress your appetite. Gaining muscle is hard enough without throwing these complications into the works.