Optimum Nutrition are a powerhouse when it comes to sports supplements. With one of the most well known and popular proteins out on the market; the Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey as well as a stack of awards for many of their other products; Optimum are always hard at work coming up with innovative new products. One of these innovative products include their latest venture into the casein protein range; the Optimum Tri-Celle Casein or Platinum Tri-Celle Casein.
Optimum Tri-Celle Casein Highlights
- 30g of quality MicelleXL Casein, a patent pending form of casein which is 3 times the size of normal casein.
- Longer absorption time means sustained supply of anabolic amino acids.
- Added ingredients to help support improved sleep and reduced stress and anxiety including L-Theanine and Lactium.
Optimum Tri-Celle Casein Ingredients & Dosage
Optimum Nutrition’s Platinum Tri-Celle Casein is an interesting casein protein which uses a novel patent pending technology known as ‘MicelleXL’ technology. Let’s take a look at their casein and other ingredients in detail:
- MicelleXL Casein – Optimum has used a technology which is said to triple the average size of a casein molecule, thereby forming an ultra-thick gel when digested to slow down absorption even moreso than regular casein. Each serving of Optimum Tri-Celle Casein provides 30g of casein protein.
- L-Theanine – Platinum Tri-Celle casein contains around 200mg of L-theanine, a compound originally derived from green tea which has been shown to potential calming, sedative and anti-stress properties, an excellent addition for a pre-sleep protein.
- Lactium Hydrolysates – Optimum Nutrition’s Tri-Celle Casein contains a decapeptide derived from bovine sources of sodium caseinate. This peptide has been studied for its ability to relieve stress and anxiety. According to the creators of Lactium, 150mg should be consumed before bed for best effect.
Optimum Tri-Celle Casein Pros & Effectiveness
Tri-Celle Casein is an interesting supplement. In theory, larger casein molecules and increasing its ability to gelate in the stomach would mean slower digestion and therefore a prolonged release of amino acids into your bloodstream and to your muscles. The use of theanine and lactium would also help improve sleep quality, an important factor in governing growth hormone release.
Optimum Tri-Celle Casein Cons
It would be better if there were some studies on the MicelleXL technology and how effective it is on plasma and muscle protein levels during sleep. Perhaps some extra protein sources may also improve its anabolic potential, but overall, I see little flaws in this product.
Optimum Tri-Celle Casein Taste & Mixability
Although Optimum has stated that their Platinum Tri-Celle Casein mixes into a richer, thicker casein protein shake, because the powder is instantised, this means that it will still be well mixed without any grittiness or residue. The shake is thicker than regular casein and perhaps not the best to mix with milk, unless you want a seriously thick shake. At the moment, there are only 2 flavours, chocolate and vanilla. Both taste quite nice, however, the texture is not for everyone.
Optimum Tri-Celle Casein Verdict
Optimum Nutrition have created some stellar products over the years and have always been at the forefront of innovation and research. With this new addition to their ‘Platinum’ series; the Optimum Tri-Celle Casein, Optimum Nutrition have invested in an interesting product. Although, not the most well researched product, there is some promise to this product and at the end of the day, if a product can give you good quality protein and perhaps better quality sleep, then it’s a good product in my mind. And Tri-Celle Casein definitely does both.