One Leg Calf Raises - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Single-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Calves
The One Leg Calf Raise targets each muscle in isolation rather than working both legs in unison. This is a great exercise for creating symmetry between calf muscles. The ability to isolate is essential when one calf muscle is larger than the other.
One Leg Calf Raises - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Position yourself in the Standing Calf Raise machine, your shoulders anchored under the pads. Cross the non-exercising foot behind the other.
- Lower your heel as far as it will go - this forms the starting point. Exhale and press your heels as high as possible, feeling the calf muscle contract.
- Inhale and return this heel in a controlled manner back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the specified reps, then switch legs.
One Leg Calf Raises - Tips & Safety
- Focus on achieving a full range of motion throughout the exercise. If one of your calves is smaller than the other make sure you complete extra sets in order to achieve symmetry between both calves.
One Leg Calf Raises - Alternatives
- Try this exercise on a Leg Press Machine or a Seated Calf Raise Machine to add variety to your training.