One Arm Triceps Pushdowns - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Single-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Triceps
Targeting the triceps, the benefit of the Tricep Cable Pushdown exercise is that unlike dumbbells or barbells, the cable pulleys provide consistent resistance throughout each movement and allows for a full range of motion. You should begin to feel the burn midway through your set. If it seems too easy add some more weight. Done properly, these can really help fatigue the triceps, so consider the timing of this exercise in relation to the other triceps exercises.
One Arm Triceps Pushdowns - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Face an overhead cable machine, with a single handle cable pulley attached.
- Take hold of the handle with your palm facing the ceiling.
- Lock your elbow under the shoulder of the arm being targeted, exhale and extend the arm, feeling the contraction in the tricep muscle. Hold.
- Inhale and let your hand return back to the starting position in a controlled manner, without letting the weight return to the stack.
- Once you have completed the desired rep range, rest, then repeat this exercise with the other arm.
One Arm Triceps Pushdowns - Tips & Safety
- Keep this exercise strict at all times, and your elbow locked-in position throughout. Only your forearms should be moving.
- Leaning slightly forward with your torso provides greater stability when using heavier weights.
One Arm Triceps Pushdowns - Alternatives
- Reversing the grip on the handles focuses the effort on the inner tricep muscles.
- You may choose to do a three-quarter movement, that is, going from all the way down then back up to three-qaurters of the way down in order to isolate the lower triceps.