Muscletech – you don’t have many brands with as big a reputation as this powerhouse bodybuilding and sports supplement company. With over a decades worth of experience in the industry and sponsoring such athletes as Mr Olympia himself – Phil Heath, they are always coming up with new and innovative products to ensure they stay ahead of the game. One of their latest products is Phase 8, their time-released protein and part of their new Performance Series of products. Let’s see what Phase 8 contains and what sets it apart from their competition.
Muscletech Phase 8 Highlights
- Six sources of protein including milk protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, micellar casein, calcium caseinate, hydrolysed whey protein isolate and whey protein isolate.
- 4.6g of BCAAs and added digestive enzymes for stomach comfort.
- Low in fat and carbohydrates.
Muscletech Phase 8 Ingredients & Dosage
Muscletech’s Phase 8 protein powder is their version of a time release protein that is supposed to supply protein and amino acids to your muscles over 8 hours. A relatively simple product, let’s take a look at the ingredients of Phase 8:
- 6 Protein Sources – Phase 8 contains six different types of protein sources including milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, micellar casein, calcium caseinate, hydrolysed whey protein isolate and whey protein isolate. All these protein sources are derived from milk, have high biological availability and are absorbed through various time periods.
- Digestive Enzymes – Bromelain and amylase; two digestive enzymes help to break down protein and carbohydrates so that they are absorbed faster and result in reduced chance of bloating.
All the other ingredients in Phase 8 include a guar gum and creamer for texture, sweeteners and natural preservatives such as salt.
Muscletech Phase 8 Pros & Effectiveness
Multiple studies have shown a blend of proteins that have different absorption rates to be better than a single straight fast acting protein at improving muscle protein synthesis. They’ve also include hydrolysed whey protein isolate which ranks just as high in terms of activating muscle protein synthesis. Muscletech’s Phase 8 is an excellent choice for those people usually on the run or have very little time to have a sit down meal. It also doubles as a night time protein so that you don’t have to invest in having 2 or 3 different types of proteins.
Muscletech Phase 8 Cons
While Phase 8 contains some carbohydrates and hydrolysed whey protein isolate, both of which activate insulin pathways to increase uptake of protein into muscle, one can’t help but feel that more carbohydrates and an increased amount of hydrolysed whey would have been suitable. Being the 5th most abundant protein in the mixture, hydrolysed whey protein should have been first or second to really kickstart muscle protein synthesis and improve uptake of all the other protein sources due to its insulinotropic (insulin releasing) nature. To make the best use of this protein, one should consume a meal between 1-3 hours after the initial shake. A quick hit of carbs would be even better, especially during a bulking phase.
Muscletech Phase 8 Taste & Mixability
Muscletech have never really invested much into straight protein powders besides Nitro-Tech. Phase 8 is actually quite pleasant tasting and it seems as though they’ve taken a page from Gaspari’s taste team and created a nice tasting semi-thick shake. Phase 8 mixes well enough, but does have a bit of grittiness to it, which isn’t altogether unpleasant. The most popular flavour for Phase 8 appears to be vanilla.
Muscletech Phase 8 Verdict
Muscletech’s Phase 8 is by far not the most revolutionary product out there. It’s been done before, but with the reputation for quality products and ingredients that Muscletech have, you’re assured a high quality product with Phase 8 that does what it’s meant to do – provide a sustained release of anabolic amino acids to your muscles.