The previous MuscleTech Anabolic Halo (Pro Series) was a bit of a dog’s breakfast and awkwardly slotted into the post workout category. It only made sense as a product if you used it in conjunction with others like protein powders, and it didn’t play well with other post workout MuscleTech products such as the all-mighty Cell Tech. However, MuscleTech being quite the bodybuilding supplement giant, can afford to completely revamp their range every now and then. As a result, Anabolic Halo Performance Series is now a completely different, and better, product.
MuscleTech Anabolic Halo Highlights
- Fool-proof comprehensive post workout recovery specialty protein powder.
- Well dosed active ingredients when taken at the maximum dose and still good value for money
MuscleTech Anabolic Halo Ingredients & Dosage
Instead of being an awkward post workout supplement, Halo is now a full blown all in one post workout recovery protein shake. For this to be possible, Halo has a pretty solid range of ingredients:
- Protein (20 g) matrix consisting of whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, hydrolyzed whey protein isolate, and egg albumen. The blend of different proteins have a stage released profile and studies have shown that blends tend to provide superior anabolic benefits compared to single protein sources taken after a workout (Reidy et al, 2013).
- Carbohydrate (10 g) matrix consisting of maltodextrin, oats, amaranth, quinoa, buckwheat, millet, and chia. These are predominantly complex carbs, which means Halo is low in sugar.
- Glutamine (2.5 g from all sources) the oldschool bodybuilder’s favourite amino acid to replenish depleted glutamine after intensive exercise.
- BCAAs (3 g from all sources) the modern favourite amino acids for recovery and to kick start muscle growth.
- Growth and Recovery Complex containing creatine monohydrate (2.5g) for increasing strength and lean mass. Tart cherry concentrate (250 mg) which also helps with recovery and to help reduce soreness and muscle damage (Connolly et al, 2006).
- Electrolytes for replenishing lost minerals.
MuscleTech Anabolic Halo Pros & Effectiveness
Anabolic Halo is one of the few all in one post workout products currently on the market. From a nutritional standpoint, Halo does appear to have the makings of a comprehensive product. As a whole, when taken at the full dose, the dosage for many of the major nutrients, such as protein, carbs, glutamine, BCAAs, and creatine are at adequate levels to promote muscle growth. Despite this, Halo is actually well priced, and can lead to a significant cost saving as it eliminates the need for you to purchase other products. The small 1.1 kg tub should last most people around a month, when taken at the maximum dose, depending on the frequency of training.
MuscleTech Anabolic Halo Cons
The only ingredient that stands out as being potentially underdosed is the tart cherry concentrate. A maximum dose of Halo only contains 500 mg, which would be unlikely to provide adequate levels of the active components as studied by scientists. In addition to this, this reviewer would have liked to see a higher proportion of the faster digesting hydrolysed whey protein, or perhaps the substitution of whey protein concentrate with whey protein isolate. Finally, this reviewer would also have liked to see higher proportions of the more exotic carb sources, instead of relying predominantly on maltodextrin. Although fixing all these minor flaws would make the product superior, it would however make the product prohibitively expensive. So overall, MuscleTech have struck a good balance between quality and value.
MuscleTech Anabolic Halo Taste & Mixability
Anabolic Halo is one of the better tasting protein shakes around. The flavour is rich, a little on the sweeter side, and texture is creamy and milky. There is little if any detectable aftertaste and most people would certainly have no problems drinking it in the long term. If you prefer a thinner and blander shake, it is recommended that you water it down.
As with many MuscleTech protein powders of late, mixability seems to be a bit of an issue. Although the shake is predominantly smooth, there is no shortage of insoluble particulates that remain after a vigorous shake. This, although visually unappealing, does not detract from the good flavour.
MuscleTech Anabolic Halo Verdict
MuscleTech Anabolic Halo is a mid-range, fool proof, and comprehensive post workout specialty protein powder that is both effective and good value for money. This makes Halo perfect for beginner to intermediate trainers looking for the convenience of a single product to replace up to seven different products. However, Halo would not be entirely suitable for the elite looking for the best of the best.
Connolly et al (2006), Efficacy of a tart cherry juice blend in preventing the symptoms of muscle damage. Br J Sports Med, 40: 679-683
Reidy et al (2013), Protein blend ingestion following resistance exercise promotes human muscle protein synthesis. J Nutr, 143(4): 410-6