There are many people that are looking for more natural supplements and health products, that have been provided by mother nature rather than someone in a lab. Whatever type of help with your muscle building goals you're looking for, there's a herb to fit.
Herbs are also commonly used in commercial supplements, whether fat burners or testosterone boosters. With the information in this article, you can create your own stack tailor-made to suit your needs. Most of the herbs in this list have more than one benefit and so are in more than one category, and can generally be bought as extracts, dried herbs or in solutions. For more information and dosage requirements, click on the herb's name.
There are lots of herbs that have been proven to help with fat loss, through many different mechanisms. The main fat burning ingredients found in popular supplements are mostly herbal in origin. In order of efficacy:
- Citrus aurantium – has been shown to increase the body's metabolic rate, meaning more calories are burned during any activity.
- Willow bark – has fat oxidation properties, and works well in tandem with citrus aurantium.
- Yerba mate – promotes lipid oxidation, as well as being a stimulant containing caffeine.
- Green coffee extract – a popular thermogenic.
- Green tea extract – works with its caffeine content to increase the metabolic rate.
- Garlic – increases thermogenesis or heat production, which uses more calories.
- White mulberry – works as an appetite suppressor and blocks adsorption of carbohydrates.
- White kidney bean – a carbohydrate blocker that prevents the absorption of carbs in the intestines.
- Guarana – increases fat oxidation.
- Licorice root – interferes with the liver's storage of glycogen, otherwise mechanism unknown.
- Milk thistle – may suppress obesity genes, as yet untested in humans.
- Goji berries – may increase metabolic rate.
- Pomegranate – has demonstrated fat loss abilities, but no direct studies performed as yet.
- Rosehip – has some anti-obesity effects in overweight individuals.
These herbs have all been indicated in increasing the amount of free testosterone in your blood, the anabolic or muscle building hormone.
- Horny goat weed
- Long jack
- Tribulus terrestris
- Velvet bean (mucuna pruriens)
- Cnidium monnieri
- Avena sativa
- Dong quai
- Black cohosh
The herbs below cause vasodilation and the 'pump' that comes with a workout, helping transfer nutrients and waste as well as improving your look in the gym.
These herbs have stimulant properties, best taken pre-workout to maintain your focus and energy for an intense training session.
- Yerba Mate
- Green coffee extract
- Green tea extract
- Hoodia gordonii
- Licorice root
- Kola nut
Endurance & Performance
These herbs are shown to improve the length of time you can train for without fatiguing, as well as increasing strength, allowing you to train harder.
Pain & Inflammation
These herbs prevent pain and inflammation, helping with recovery and allowing a more intense training session.
Insulin & Glucose Absorption
These herbs will increase sensitivity to insulin, helping with weight loss, as well as assisting with glucose uptake into the muscles to use as energy for training.