Muscle Building For Skinny Guys
Bodybuilding is particularly difficult for those guys with an ectomorph body type. With a naturally raging metabolism, they find it difficult to put on fat, let alone muscle. Their bone structure is fine and light, they are often willowy looking with long limbs, slender hips and shoulders, and a flat chest. If this sounds like you, follow our tips to make it easier for you to gain mass.
- Sleep – lack of sleep equals lack of gains. During the night is when your body recovers itself and grows muscle. If you aren't getting enough sleep, you're not giving your body enough time to accomplish this. Lack of sleep also lowers your testosterone (the muscle building hormone) and increases stress hormones, which encourage muscle breakdown.
- Rest – You will need to rest longer between workouts and between sets than most people. If you overwork your muscles you can activate catabolis, where they will begin breaking down. Ectomorphs are much more prone to this.
- Eat every 2 – 3 hours – With a faster than average metabolism, your body will burn through calories at a rapid rate. If you only eat 3 meals a day, your body won't have the surplus of energy needed to grow muscle.
- Eat protein – although this may seem like an obvious one, a lot of people underestimate the amount of protein they need to consume as an ectomorph. As a general rule of thumb, take the weight in pounds you wish to gain to, double it, and that's is the amount of protein in grams you should eat per day. Drinking protein shakes will be of great assistance in helping you get this into your body.
- Before bed protein – Drinking a long acting protein such as micellular casein will provide your body with the stores needed to keep your muscles recovering and growing, and will stave off catabolism as your blood sugar drops.
- Sports drink throughout the day – Staying hydrated is important to keep your body in peak condition for keeping on muscle. Drinking gatorade or equivalent will not only make sure you are adequately hydrated, but will also provide extra calories.
- Absolute maximum of 3 workouts a week – And two would be optimal. Your body needs much more time to recover, and more exercise than this may result in muscle break down, and will certainly limit your gains.
- But, workouts should consist of big, compound exercises – using as many muscles as possible. This will activate your nervous system as well as release of testosterone and human growth hormone – hormones that the ectomorph is lacking, and hormones that create an environment suited to muscle growth.
- No more than 45 minutes at the gym at a time – any longer than that and muscle building hormones begin to drop, and muscle wasting hormones begin to rise due to stress. So get in, and get out.
- Avoid cardio – other than that necessary for cardiovascular health, cardio should be avoided as it will burn calories than you simply can't spare.
Note: just because you aren't gaining muscle doesn't mean you are an ectomorph, it may mean that your training or diet is less than ideal. Look out for the bone structure and lack of body fat - if you don't have the fast metabolism, following these tips may result in gaining fat instead of muscle.