Calf Raises on Leg Press - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Single-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Calves
Performing the calf raise on a Leg Press Machine totally isolates the calves, giving you the most intense variation of the exercise. The great thing about this exercise is that you can't cheat. The machine stabilises the rest of your body, allowing you to focus completely on each calf contraction. By varying the direction at which you point your toes you can emphasise different areas of the calf muscle including the inner and outer gastronemius and the soleus.
Calf Raises on Leg Press - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Align yourself on a Leg Press Machine, as you would to perform a normal leg press.
- Position your toes only, not the whole foot, against the foot pads.
- Keeping your legs almost straight, exhale and press with the toes feeling the contraction in the calves.
- Inhale and bring your toes back down.
- Repeat for the specified rep range.
Calf Raises on Leg Press - Tips & Safety
- Keep the movement slow and controlled at all times.
- Use the safety bars for injury prevention.
- Maximise the range of motion with a complete squeeze of the calf muscles at the top and a full stretch at the bottom.
- Isolate the calves during the workout by bracing your back against the pad.
Calf Raises on Leg Press - Alternatives
- Vary toe placement for differing emphasis.
- Using the Calf-Sled Machine is another machine designed to perform seated straight-leg calf raises.