Machine Ab Crunches - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Multi-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Abdominals
Using a machine to train your abs is a personal choice that many bodybuilders believe is unnecessary. Designed to work the upper and lower abs, Machine Ab Crunches are quite beneficial for trimming and defining the obliques. If the machine also allows for weights, this could help provide the resistance in a safe manner needed to build up your abs. However, if you are not feeling the squeeze at the top of the motion and the resistance on the way down then perhaps Machine Ab Crunches are not beneficial to your particular body type or fitness level.
Machine Ab Crunches - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Seat yourself in the machine, affixing the belt across your thighs if applicable.
- Hook your feet under the foot pads and grasp the handles at your sides.
- As you pull down with your arms, exhale and concentrate on contracting the abs.
- Inhale and return to the starting point whilst maintaining the contraction, and repeat.
Machine Ab Crunches - Tips & Safety
- Ensure that you are squeezing with your abs, and not your arms.
- Aim to have your legs neutral on the footrest and avoid hooking them under to help bring you forward.
- Make sure that you are correctly positioned in the machine and that it is adjusted to your height.
- During the crunch down your torso should be almost parallel to the floor.
Machine Ab Crunches - Alternatives
- Try this exercise with a chest pad in order to add variety to the resistance level.