Lying Dumbbell Extensions - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Single-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Triceps
Secondary Muscles Worked: Chest and Shoulders
Lying Dumbbell Extensions are similar to the Lying Triceps Extension in that it forces you to maintain deliberate and complete control thoughout each movement. It is also able to work the anterior delts.
Lying Dumbbell Extensions - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Position yourself on a flat bench with your back, shoulder blades, and sacrum making firm contact with the bench.
- Place your head at one end of the bench and your feet elevated on the other.
- Grasp a dumbbell in each hand so that they are positioned with the palm of your hands facing each other and above you, your arms fully extended and your elbows locked.
- Inhale and simultaneously bring down both dumbbells to the sides of your head. Pause.
- Exhale and drive the dumbbells in a strict manner back up.
- Complete the desired rep range, rest, then repeat.
Lying Dumbbell Extensions - Tips & Safety
- Keep the exercise strict and both dumbbells level at all times. Avoid rocking and shaking.
- Avoid this exercise if you are experiencing elbow or shoulder pain.
- Start off with light weights to work on form as sheavy weights with poor form can place increased strain on your elbows.
- Ensure that your wrists are locked to prevent excess radial abduction, ie wrist moves toward the thumb, which places strain on the wrist joint.
Lying Dumbbell Extensions - Alternatives
- This exercise can be performed one arm at a time in order to emphasise each tricep.