Each part of the body communicates with the rest by neurotransmitters and hormones. This feedback maintains our physical balance. A man’s ejaculation is produced by glandular fluids from the cells in the prostate and the surrounding gland cells. Prior to ejaculation, sperm mixes with ejaculate in response to testosterone produced by neighbouring Leydig cells. Testosterone production is stimulated by the presence of Luteinising Hormone (LH) in the blood surrounding the Leydig cells, which comes to the testicles from the pituitary gland at the skull’s base. This gland produces LH in response to gonadotropic releasing hormone (GnRH), produced by a gland above the pituitary, called the hypothalamus, which gets its stimulation from a variety of stimuli. These include neuro-psychological stimulation from the senses (touch, sight, smell, taste, etc), and mood (periods of low stress, joy, bliss, etc), as well as the need to produce more sperm and ejaculate after sex. The man who ejaculates more often will have a higher libido, a higher testosterone level, and will find it easier to put on lean muscle. The absence of the above stimuli may lead to erectile dysfunction. Disuse is directly linked to prostate problems. Like skeletal muscle that atrophies from a lack of use, the capsule made up of fibro muscular bands for squeezing out ejaculate also atrophy from a lack of use. Simultaneously, centrally located cells of the gland itself may slowly enlarge over time.1
Supplements to Boost Libido
If you are looking to enhance your ‘nocturnal’ performance, natural solutions are available to help you lift your game. The options below may help you. When in doubt, consult with your doctor.
- Horny Goat Weed: is a plant genus which collectively contain 130 plant active compounds with effectiveness varying from plant to plant, dependent on inherent actives. Licarin, an active, has been shown to increase erectile function.2
- Tribulus: has been found to have an immediate result in raising Testosterone levels. Tribestanol is active in the body for approximately 8 hours, so it needs to be taken three times a day to ensure consistent release of luteinising hormone, which may result in increased testosterone production.
- Longifolia: from Southeast Asia has a long history as an aphrodisiac.3
- Viraloid: will keep your natural testosterone levels elevated whilst simultaneously preventing shutdown.
- Nitric Oxide: L-arginine is used to make nitric oxide, a compound in the body that relaxes blood vessels. L-arginine may help with conditions that improve when blood vessels are relaxed (called vasodilatation), such as erectile dysfunction. It is not necessary to take supplements of this type with other stimulants, such as caffeine.
1 Extreme Muscle Enhancement by Carlon M. Colker, MD, FACN, p. 309
2 Essentials of Sports Nutrition and Supplements, Jose Antonio, PhD, Douglas Kalman, Phd, RD, Jeffrey R. Stout, PhD, Mike Greenwood, PhD, Darryn S. Willoughby, PhD, G. Gregory Haff PhD, p.58.
3 Ibid, p. 487