Jym Supplement Science is the brand created by the experienced and trusted exercise sports science Dr Jim Stoppani. And it’s a brand that keeps on gaining traction. With 3 supplements already released so far including Pre Jym, Post Jym and Pro Jym, the latest release is a fat burner titled Shred Jym. It’s initial release led to a sell out in just 3 days, so is it as good as people make it out to be?
Jym Shred Jym Highlights
- Simple 6 ingredient fat burner
- Well studied and well dosed ingredients
- Support fat and weight loss as well as the negative affects of caloric restriction and dieting
Jym Shred Jym Ingredients & Dosage
Jym’s Shred Jym is a capsule based supplement which has only a small range of 6 ingredients. These include:
- Acetyl L-Carnitine HCl (1.5g)
- L-Tyrosine (500mg)
- Green Tea Leaf Extract (500mg)
- Caffeine Anhydrous (200mg)
- Cayenne Pepper Fruit Extract (50mg)
- Synephrine (20mg)
Shred Jym is available in a 240 capsule container with 60 servings of 4 capsules. However, you can take up to 2-3 servings per day which reduces the servings to 20-30.
Jym Shred Jym Pros & Effectiveness
Jim Stoppani’s Jym supplements have always tended to be well dosed. Let’s examine each ingredient to see how he did with dosing his latest fat burner:
- Acetyl L-Carnitine – L-carnitine is a crucial compound involved in the use of lipids or fats as energy. However, prior research failed to show any significant change in weight with up to 2g of L-carnitine supplementation. However a recent study was able to show having carnitine with carbohydrates was able to not only increase carnitine levels in the body but also fat metabolism during exercise1. While the carnitine used in the study was not acetyl l-carnitine (ALCAR), this carnitine type is known to be easily absorbed. While one serving may not provide the 2-3g commonly used in studies, 6 capsules should give you what you need. Another good thing about the use of ALCAR over regular carnitine is due to the boost in mood, attention and overall brain health – which can sometimes be depressed with dieting.
- L-Tyrosine – Supplementation of L-Tyrosine seems to be good at combating stress2 which can come about due to dieting and caloric restriction. Typical doses have used 500mg to 2000mg, of which the dose in Shred Jym fits into this range.
- Green Tea Leaf Extract – Green tea has had a long history of being able to exert positive benefits, especially with regards to fat and weight loss. This is mainly due to the polyphenols known as catechins in the green tea. Higher doses tend to exert better effect and also pairing it with caffeine can increase its effectiveness. The lowest dose which could support thermogenic effects would be around 250mg of catechins but consumed with caffeine3. Shred Jym has around 375mg of catechins and plenty of caffeine.
- Caffeine Anhydrous – While caffeine is well known for its ability to support fat and weight loss, the best dose is too hard to discern as so many people already consume caffeine on a regular basis. The 200mg per serve included in Shred Jym is a bit on the low side, but if you abstained from caffeine a week prior to use of Shred Jym, this dose should be somewhat helpful.
- Cayenne Pepper Fruit Extract – Cayenne pepper, along with other chilli’s contain capsaicin, a compound which is known to increase thermogenesis. Doses of capsaicin needed tend to be in excess of 100mg4, so the 50mg included per serve also appears to be rather low.
- Synephrine – A compound derived from bitter orange extract, synephrine is effective in supporting fat and weight loss by increasing metabolism. Doses tend to be in the range of 10-20mg taken 3 times a day5 or 50mg taken once6.
Shred Jym uses plenty of ingredients which are already common in fat burners around today. While the majority of the ingredients are well dosed, the supplement is definitely one that is intended to be taken at least twice a day.
Jym Shred Jym Cons
As previously mentioned, to make best use of Shred Jym, you need to take at least 1.5-2 serves per day to get truly beneficial effects from all the ingredients. This tends to increase the cost per serve, but still allows you roughly a month’s worth; which is ideal for fat burners. Overall Shred Jym has very few negatives other than the fact you might have a hard time trying to wean yourself off caffeine before starting it.
Jym Shred Jym Taste & Mixability
Jym Shred Jym will only be available in capsule form in the foreseeable future.
Jym Shred Jym Verdict
Jym’s Shred Jym is another fantastic addition to the growing range of Jym Supplement Science supplements. While the supplement doesn’t bring anything new to the market, ultimately it is a well dosed supplement which will help you get the results you want.1. Wall BT, Stephens FB, Constantin-Teodosiu D, Marimuthu K, Macdonald IA, Greenhaff PL. ‘Chronic oral ingestion of L-carnitine and carbohydrate increases muscle carnitine content and alters muscle fuel metabolism during exercise in humans.’ J Physiol. 2011 Feb 15;589(Pt 4):963-73
2. Banderet LE, Lieberman HR. Treatment with tyrosine, a neurotransmitter precursor, reduces environmental stress in humans. Brain Res Bull. (1989)
3. Hursel R, et al. The effects of catechin rich teas and caffeine on energy expenditure and fat oxidation: a meta-analysis. Obes Rev. (2011)
4. Lejeune et al (2003), Effect of capsaicin on substrate oxidation and weight maintenance after modest body-weight loss in human subjects. British Journal of Nutrition, 90: 651-659
5. Examine.com, (2014). Synephrine - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects. [online] Available at: http://examine.com/supplements/Synephrine/ [Accessed 7 May. 2014]
6. Stohs SJ, et al. Effects of p-synephrine alone and in combination with selected bioflavonoids on resting metabolism, blood pressure, heart rate and self-reported mood changes. Int J Med Sci. (2011)