Supplements For Fat Loss
When it comes to fat loss, much of the information available can be confusing. Commonly too many calories are mistakenly cut to really low levels to accentuate fat loss, almost certain to leave you plateauing where further fat loss is difficult. Rapid caloric reduction will cause a decrease in muscle mass and slow your basal metabolism. You need to stimulate the body to liberate fat, without fat cells resisting being broken down as fuel.1 Smaller meals mean less total glucose in the blood at one time. Splitting your food intake into 5 or 6 smaller meals helps control how much glucose is released into your bloodstream, moderating insulin release. This way, the body tends to upgrade its ability to store muscle glycogen. With glucose being packed away as glycogen, it is not being stored as fat.2 By optimising your diet, exercise and supplementation, you will hold onto the maximum amount of muscle, whilst decreasing your fat stores.
Fat Loss Protein PowdersIf you are looking for foods shown to enhance fat metabolism and improve body composition, adding a Whey Protein Isolate supplement could help.3 A study examined the effects of whey protein supplementation in adults. Although no exercise was performed during the trial, supplementation period (at only 20 grams a day), the whey group demonstrated a decrease in body fat percentage after 10 weeks.4 Another study examined the ability of the macronutrients (protein, carbohydrate and fat) to suppress ghrelin, a hormone known to stimulate appetite. As blood glucose levels drop, ghrelin is secreted from the gut into circulation where it triggers brain cells to promote the sensation of hunger.
Ghrelin levels decrease promptly after food consumption. This study suggests that the higher the protein content of the meal, the longer ghrelin levels are suppressed after eating.5 Through choosing the right protein powder you could build muscle, increase strength and gain lean muscle weight, whilst preventing excess body fat. Specially made Fat Loss Protein Powders can assist with fat loss.
Fat Loss Supplements
To lose fat, your body needs a boost in its fat-burning metabolism to better release fatty acids from body fat stores for energy use. Many supplements help improve your body’s fat-metabolising rate.6 Initially, use these supplements at 50% of the recommended dosage for a few days to gauge your body’s responsiveness. If effective, increase the dose to the specified amount. Some other great ingredients or supplements are:
- Hydroxy Citric Acid (HCA) inhibits dietary intake, enhancing weight loss.7 HCA is believed to inhibit excess carbs from being stored as body fat. HCA can interfere with the enzyme ATP, which transfers carbohydrates into body fat.8
- L-Carnitine is synthesised from amino acids, and transports fatty acids to be oxidised for energy. Carnitine, a catalyst, transports the fatty acids from blood so that it will be burned as fuel during exercise.9
- Chromium Piclonate helps maintain balance in blood sugar by improving insulin’s activity in the body and the metabolism of carbohydrates and lipids.10
- Fish oils contain omega-3 fatty acids which encourage receptor sites on muscle to increase insulin sensitivity, and less insulin is released. Fat storage is limited, and carbohydrates and amino acids are channelled into muscle tissue.11
- Caffeine accelerates the breakdown of fatty acids in fat stores, the prime fuel of endurance athletes.12
- Evening Primrose Oil (Gamma Linoleic Oil) is a fatty acid that demonstrated weight loss in non-dieting individuals using 450mgs over an 8 week period.13
- Chromium is a trace mineral, which can increase insulin efficiency. Chromium makes muscles insulin friendly, and glucose is diverted towards muscle rather than into fat storage. Combined with weight training, chromium builds muscle at the expense of body fat gains.14
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) has been found by researchers to encourage fat breakdown. CLA transports dietary fat into cells to be burned for energy or used to build muscle.15
Supplements For Thyroid Function
The thyroid gland is responsible for producing hormones which control the rate of metabolism in the body. A range of supplements may stimulate the thyroid gland to produce more thyroid hormones. These supplements may results in a healthier, more active thyroid, but also keep your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) at higher levels. With a high BMR, more calories are burned and more weight is lost. Guggul Extract is an ingredient in such formulations, and may improve thyroid functioning and increase fat metabolism.
To really help show the definition you have trained so hard for, herbal diuretics may assist you with flushing out excess water to help define your muscular size and shape. These may help you whether you are a bodybuilder or figure athlete preparing for a competition or you need to lose subcutaneous water by the weekend. The skin is comprised of layers containing subcutaneous fat, blood vessels, nerves, sweat glands, and lymphatic and connective tissues. Below the outer skin lies subcutaneous fluid. Excess fluid could make the skin appear puffy, hiding vascularity and definition. Herbal diuretics remove the water from this subcutaneous layer to achieve a shredded, dry look, without depleting the electrolytes sodium and potassium.
Fat Loss For Bodybuilders
Whether you are aiming to cut up in readiness for a bodybuilding competition, or wanting to shed some unwanted fat, there are a wide range of supplements to help you achieve your goals. Do not confuse weight loss with fat loss. Fat loss is what you want, and not at the expense of losing any lean muscle mass. Losing weight too quickly would probably be the result of water and precious muscle mass lost. Combined with a balanced diet and exercise programme, the right supplements will help you in your quest for refining your physique. Depending on your budget and goals, there is a range of supplements that will help you achieve your desired goal.
1 Everything You Need to Know About Fat Loss, Chris Aceto, p. 52
2 Everything You Need to Know About Fat Loss, Chris Aceto, p. 54
3 6 Nutrients That Speed Fat Loss and Why You Should Get Them in Your Diet. June 18th, 2009 By Paul Cribb Ph.D. CSCS.
4 High protein makes dieting a snack October 16th, 2008 By Paul Cribb Ph.D. CSCS. / Source: Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism online Jan ’08
5 6 Nutrients That Speed Fat Loss and Why You Should Get Them in Your Diet. June 18th, 2009 By Paul Cribb Ph.D. CSCS.
6 Macrobolic Nutrition – Priming your Body to Build Muscle and Burn Fat Gerard Dente with Kevin J. Hopkins, p. 142
7 Essentials of Sports Nutrition and Supplements, Jose Antonio, PhD, Douglas Kalman, Phd, RD, Jeffrey R. Stout, PhD, Mike Greenwood, PhD, Darryn S. Willoughby, PhD, G. Gregory Haff PhD. P. 448
8 Everything You Need to Know About Fat Loss, Chris Aceto, p 133
9 Essentials of Sports Nutrition and Supplements, Jose Antonio, PhD, Douglas Kalman, Phd, RD, Jeffrey R. Stout, PhD, Mike Greenwood, PhD, Darryn S. Willoughby, PhD, G. Gregory Haff PhD. p. 194
10 Nutrient Timing by John Ivy, Ph.D., and Robert Portman, Ph.D, p 119
10 Macrobolic Nutrition – Priming your Body to Build Muscle and Burn Fat, Gerard Dente with Kevin J. Hopkins, p. 116
11 Everything You Need to Know About Fat Loss, Chris Aceto, p.133
12 Ibid, p.134
13 Ibid, p.136
14 Ibid, p.136
15 Power Eating, Susan Kleiner, PhD, RD, p. 172