Six time Mr Olympia Dorian Yates, the founder of Dorian Yates Nutrition knows a thing or two about supplements. His products have a reputation for being ultra-concentrated and are not for the faint hearted. This philosophy is still evident today with the release of his new fat burner/pre workout, Black Bombs.
Black Bombs Ingredients
Black Bombs is named after an amphetamine based party drug from the 1960s that was famous for causing euphoria, increasing metabolism, and spiking energy levels. That’s because the Dorian Yates product is designed to do the exact same thing.
The ingredients of the Australian version of Black Bombs are quite different from the overseas version, but it is no less potent. It is essentially a cocktail of stimulants and antioxidants.
- Taurine: A common ingredient in pre workout supplements and energy drinks like Red Bull. Taurine has a multitude of functions within the body, one of which is to regulate muscle contractions.
- Yerba mate extract: A popular caffeine containing herb commonly found in fat burners and pre workouts. Not only is it excellent for providing caffeine, but it also has some strong antioxidant properties (Filip et al, 2000).
- Acacia rigidula extract: Fans of APS Mesomorph would instantly be familiar with this botanical. This ingredient gives Mesomorph its distinctive energy hit, but in Black Bombs, there’s far more of it.
- Green tea extract: The classic thermogenic and weight loss ingredient that is ubiquitous in modern fat burners because it works.
- Citrus aurantium extract: Containing synephrine, this is possibly the closest legal alternative to the now banned ephedrine. Synephrine is a safe central nervous stimulant often used in fat burners and pre workouts.
- Cocoa extract: Much like yerba mate, cocoa is a good source of caffeine and other stimulants, as well as antioxidants.
- Cassia nomame extract: A relatively novel ingredient in fat burners. Evidence shows that it has lipase inhibiting abilities (Rahul et al, 2007). In other words, it can block fat digestion.
- 5-Methoxytryptamine HCl: A compound closely related to the serotonin and melatonin hormones, and increases the effects of sedatives.
- Narigin: A component of grapefruit that is an antioxidant and helps to reduce blood lipids
- Grapefruit extract: As above.
Black Bombs Effectiveness
The amount of stimulant in Black Bombs is definitely on the higher end of the spectrum of products currently on the Australian market. In a tiny 5 g serve, it provides 300 mg of caffeine alone. Combine that with the other stimulant ingredients in the product, and you have yourself a potent cocktail. The energy hit in a serve of Black Bombs is massive. There is no doubt that it does a good job of elevating metabolism, as well as helping to burn fat. The stimulants also do a good job in suppressing appetite and increasing focus and alertness. Using this product over a few weeks is likely to result in weight loss.
Black Bombs Benefits
The highlight of Black Bombs is how concentrated it is. For stim-junkies and those who find that nothing else works anymore, Black Bombs is the product to go for. It is clear that even though the product uses a proprietary blend, there is certainly no under-dosing going on here. A single scoop is all you’ll need and it is in fact recommended that you do not exceed this, or use any other products that contain stimulants.
Black Bombs Negatives
The international version of Black Bombs is marketed as a fat burner, which makes complete sense. However, once it was reformulated for the Australian market, it was sold as a concentrated pre workout supplement. This makes far less sense. Although Black Bombs contains a huge energy hit, it provides little of anything else that is typically found in pre workout supplements.
Although the potency of Black Bombs is a blessing for some, it may not be up everyone’s alley. Those who are sensitive to stimulants are advised to look for an alternative, considering this product is packed full of it.
Most of the ingredients used in Black Bombs are commendable (especially the Acacia rigidula and Cassia nomame). However, the inclusion of 5-methoxytryptamine (5-MT) is questionable. It is beyond the understanding of this reviewer why Mr Yates has selected to include this ingredient in this product. 5-MT can help increase the effect of sedatives. However, it is quite clear that Black Bombs is not anywhere near a sedating product.
Black Bombs Taste & Mixability
Unlike many other countries, Black Bombs is actually available in powder form in Australia. It is currently only available in black cherry flavour, and it is in this reviewer’s opinion that other flavours are not likely to make an appearance. The powder mixes well into a clear solution that has a satisfactory taste, with the slightest tinge of bitterness, possible from the grape fruit derived ingredients.
One criticism about the mixing of the product is that the manufacturer has recommended adding a scoop to 940 mL water. Oddly enough, this is also only previously seen with Mesomorph. Personally, this reviewer is not the biggest fan of the need to consume such a large quantity of fluid, especially before a workout. Using less water results in a rather intense flavour that may be, for some, less pleasant to drink.
Black Bombs Verdict
True to the Dorian Yates philosophy, Black Bombs is a seriously intense product. If you are sensitive to stimulants, it may be wise to stay away. However, if you are after one of the most stimulant packed fat burners/pre workout supplements, then look no further. Do not let the small serving size fool you, because Black Bombs packs a heavy punch.
Filip et al (2000), Antioxidant activity of Ilex paraguariensis and related species. Nutrition Research, 20: 1437-1446
Rahul et al (2007), Pancreatic lipase inhibitors from natural sources: unexplored potential. Drug Discovery Today, 12: 19-20