Close or Medium Grip Pulldowns - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Multi-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Lats
Secondary Muscles Worked: Middle Back, Biceps and Shoulders
Also referred to also as the V-Bar Pulldown, the Close or Medium Grip Pulldown is a compound movement which focuses on the lats, biceps, middle back and shoulders. Often easier than the traditional Wide Grip Lat Pulldown as the grip is stronger at this closer position due to the mechanical advantage.
Close or Medium Grip Pulldowns - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Adjust the seat of the Lat Pulldown Machine so that when it is in use, you are locked in position.
- Select a V-Bar designed so that when your hands are placed within it, your palms face each other.
- Sit on the machine with your knees locked in place under the bolster.
- Exhale and you bring the bar towards your upper chest in a deliberate and controlled manner.
- Squeeze the shoulder blades together as you do this, and pause.
- Inhale, and allow the arms to extend as you permit the weight to the starting position, stretching out the lats. Don’t let the weight touch the stack.
- Repeat for the desired repetition range.
Close or Medium Grip Pulldowns - Tips & Safety
- Use a strict and controlled technique with this exercise, maintaining control of the weight throughout. Don’t let the weight hit the weight stack in between reps as the weight is lowered.
- It is common that your spine starts to flex to bring the weight down especially close to fatigue. However, ensure the spine is neutral to continue activating the back muscles.
Close or Medium Grip Pulldowns - Alternatives
- The use of a bar as in the Close Grip Pulldown is another way to work the same muscles.
- The V-Bar Pull Up can also be used.