Biceps Cable Curls on Preacher Bench - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Single-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Biceps
Preacher Cable Curls work the biceps and forearms combining the control of the bench with the steady resistance of a pulley cable. Unlike dumbbells and barbells, which provide resistance mostly on the bottom of the pull, the cable gives the biceps resistance at the top, adding a complete contraction to your workout. It is important to remember not to lean backward when performing the exercise as effort will come from your body weight rather than from the biceps and forearms.
Biceps Cable Curls on Preacher Bench - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Position a preacher bench in front of the cable pulley machine.
- Place a straight bar on the cable machine at floor height.
- Extend your arms over the preacher bench, then exhale and raise the bar towards you, contracting the biceps at the top. Pause.
- Inhale and allow the bar to return to the starting position maintaining control at all times and preventing the weight stack hitting the bottom.
- Once you have completed the desired repetition range, rest, then repeat.
Biceps Cable Curls on Preacher Bench - Tips & Safety
- Perform this exercise in a strict manner throughout each rep.
- Adjust the seat height so that your arms are snug against the upper edge of the pad to maintain focus on the bicep.
- Avoid the temptation to use your body weight and momentum to bring the cable up.
Biceps Cable Curls on Preacher Bench - Alternatives
- Try this exercise with different shaped bars for variety and varying emphasis in your training programme.