Bench Dips - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Single-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Triceps
Secondary Muscles Worked: Chest and Shoulders
Bench Dips work the triceps, chest and shoulders. This exercise is a great starting point for those just beginning to train their triceps. Bench Dips will emphasise the mass of your triceps and there are a number of variations which can add resistance as your fitness development progresses.
Bench Dips - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Position yourself between two flat benches.
- Place your feet on one of the benches and your hands placed on the side of the bench closest to you, about a shoulder-width apart.
- Inhale and bend at the elbows, allowing your body to descend.
- Exhale and elevate your body back to the starting position, flexing the triceps.
- Repeat for the desired repetition range.
Bench Dips - Tips & Safety
- Keep this movement slow and controlled throughout.
- Try not to lock your elbows at the top.
- Keep the elbows close to your body to ensure the focus is on the triceps.
- This exercise may place added strain to your shoulders.
Bench Dips - Alternatives
- You can place your feet on the floor rather than on another bench for a slightly easier version if you are a beginner.
- Try this exercise with your feet positioned on a higher bench or a swiss ball for a greater challenge.
- Try bench dips with weight added across your lap to build mass.