As science continues to bring more and more discoveries on various ergogenic effects of different ingredients, so too does the supplement industry and their products evolve to capture the scientific evidence and provide a better product. Protein based supplements have evolve quite dramatically over the years and AST Sports Science have capitalised on some of these new findings with their signature protein product AST VP2.
AST VP2 Highlights
- Fast absorbing hydrolysed whey protein for quick delivery of amino acids to your muscles.
- Processed to retain multiple potent bioactive fractions including alpha-lactalbumin, glycomacropeptides, immunoglobulins and lactoperoxidase.
- Lactose & Aspartame Free
AST VP2 Ingredients & Dosage
AST VP2 is a relatively simple protein supplement with very few ingredients other than hydrolysed protein. Let’s take a look at some of the key components of their hydrolysed protein:
- AST uses two proprietary technology’s known as Micro Fraction Isolation and Chymotrypsin –Trysin-Hydrolysis which helps to separate their WPI used into various potent protein fractions including alpha-lactalbumin, gylcomacropeptides, immunoglobulins and lactoperoxidase to name a few.
- Different peptide lengths of the hydrolysed protein aids in sustained and better absorption of protein to provide better nitrogen retention.
- Lactose Free – AST VP2 is completely devoid of lactose which is beneficial for many trainers who have a lactose intolerance but still want the high protein bioavailability of whey protein.
The rest of the ingredients in AST VP2 consist of flavouring, beta-alanine for colour, some sweeteners as well as Aminogen enzymes for improved absorption of protein. AST VP2 is also aspartame free.
AST VP2 Pros & Effectiveness
Multiple studies have been able to show that hydrolysed whey protein is not only absorbed faster, it may be able to offer greater gains than using whey protein by itself. Many trainers would have heard about the window of opportunity and nutrient timing, which involves the correct timing of supplementation to offer the most benefits. With hydrolysed whey protein, you are refuelling your muscles quickly, providing them with a quick supply of amino acids to repair and rebuild muscle. This is especially important for heavy or high intensity trainers.
AST VP2 Cons
For any trainer, while hydrolysed protein is beneficial for muscle growth and repair, over the long term, it might be favourable to consume a wide variety of protein sources. Although a quick supply of amino acids provided by AST VP2 is excellent, muscle building occurs throughout the day and as such requires a constant supply of amino acids for the best results. Unfortunately, VP2 fails in providing proteins which provide this sustained supply of amino acids to your muscles. To properly use AST VP2, remember to consume a slower protein source such as whey protein concentrate, milk protein and/or casein 2-3 hours after the initial post-workout AST shake. You could also have a high protein meal at this time. The other issue with VP2 is its price, which like all hydrolysed protein is rather steep, but the quality and the potential of this protein to deliver results easily offsets this.
AST VP2 Taste & Mixability
AST have done well in trying to mask the usual bitterness found in all hydrolysed proteins, whilst still keeping a high protein ratio. The best thing is that they offer alternative flavours to the usual chocolate and vanilla with a citrus splash for those who prefer a non-milky shake. AST VP2 mixes extremely well, being a hydrolysed protein with no grittiness or residue.
AST VP2 Verdict
AST VP2 is a premium quality hydrolysed protein which offers you fast absorbing protein for a quick rush of amino acids to your muscles. While VP2 is pricier than other proteins, its price is competitive with other hydrolysed proteins with a similar protein content. If you’re serious about your training, train at high intensity or train heavy, AST VP2 is for you and should be stacked with a slower absorbing whey product for best results.