Arnold Press - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Multi-joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Shoulders
Secondary Muscles Worked: Triceps
Named and invented by the man himself, Arnold Schwarzenegger came up with this exercise as a way to target all three heads of the shoulder. Considered a functional exercise by many, it also works the triceps during the movement. This exercise will help you achieve a more uniform strength throughout your shoulders and to help you on your way to achieving thick and rounded shoulders.
Arnold Press - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Sit on a bench with back support with dumbbells resting on your knees.
- Raise the dumbbells up to chest height, palms facing towards you. This is your starting position and is similar to a fully contracted bicep curl.
- Exhaling, slowly raise your arms, rotating the palms as you do so that when the dumbbells touch at the top of the movement, your palms are facing out. Pause.
- In a slow, controlled manner, lower the weight back down, rotating your arms so that your palms are facing in again once you are back in the starting position. This is one repetition.
- Repeat for the desired number of repetitions.
Arnold Press - Tips & Safety
- When going up, rotate your right hand clockwise and left hand anti-clockwise. When coming back down, reverse the movement.
- Ensure that your back maintains contact with the back support and that your lower back maintains a fairly neutral curve.
- The further your elbow moves away from the centre of your body, the greater the emphasis on the rear delts.
Arnold Press - Alternatives
- This exercise can be performed standing up, however is not recommended for people with back pain.