The demise of DMAA in 2012 Australia meant a wide variety of reformulated pre-workouts entering the Australian market. APS’ notable and popular pre-workout supplement Mesomorph was unfortunately in the firing line, however they were able to quickly come up with a newly transformed Mesomorph 2.0. Let’s have a quick look at what Mesomorph 2.0 brings and how it compares with its predecessor.
- Original formula + 3 ingredients to help improve strength, endurance, pumps and fat burning ability.
- Inclusion of 3 types of creatine
Mesomorph 2.0 Ingredients & Dosage
The new Mesomorph 2.0 has kept quite close to the original formula albeit with a few significant ingredient add-ons including:
- Agmatine Sulfate – An increasingly popular ingredient in pre-workouts and other supplements, agmatine sulfate has the ability to act as a potential neurotransmitter, making for a stronger mind to muscle connection. It is also capable of increasing resistance to pain which can help improve endurance capacity.
- Creatine Nitrate – A novel form of creatine combining the strength and performance enhancing effects of creatine with the vasodilating properties of nitrates.
- Acacia Rigidula Extract – An interesting addition, acacia rigidula extracts contain a variety of amines which have the ability to enhance fat burning, metabolic rate and decrease appetite, similar effects to many stimulants.
Aside from that, Mesomorph 2.0 has kept most of its original formula including the fatigue reducing beta-alanine, the vasodilating l-citrulline and 300mg of exercise performance enhancing caffeine.
Mesomorph 2.0 Pros & Effectiveness
The original Mesomorph was an extremely popular product when it came out. Mesomorph was one of the first products to really focus on l-citrulline, an amino acid capable of increasing arginine levels in the body moreso than actual arginine. The inclusion of ascorbic acid into the formula is not a random decision and actually helps the creatine to dissolve and be faster absorbed. With the addition of the new ingredients, Mesomorph 2.0 tackles head on the physical and mental barriers affecting workouts, whilst also increasing your ability to burn fat and achieve a better lean mass to fat ratio.
Mesomorph 2.0 Cons
The taste of Mesomorph is perhaps its biggest downfall and something which unfortunately hasn’t improved greatly since the reformulation. While it is notably better, there is still a slight bitterness to it. The dosing instructions also ask for almost a litre of water, which for some people might be too much fluid to work out comfortably, especially if you’re drinking it completely prior to a workout. My best advice is to drink half 30 minutes before a workout and continue to sip it throughout your session.
Mesomorph 2.0 Taste & Mixability
Whilst Mesomorph 2.0 mixes quite well with little frothing and residue, unfortunately its taste is something to be desired. It is quite sweet, however also has a slightly bitter aftertaste. My odd tip is to add a pinch of salt or a good dash of lemon juice which can usually help mask the bitterness.
Mesomorph 2.0 Verdict
The original APS Mesomorph was a good pre-workout which worked and not just for the strong stimulant properties of DMAA. Whilst still not the greatest tasting pre-workout, the addition of three new ingredients to the original formula will really help you to break through any physical and mental barriers impeding your workout and is a great choice for anyone after a strong pre-workout.