Machine Military Press - Muscles Worked & Benefits
Exercise Type: Multi-Joint
Primary Muscles Worked: Shoulders
Secondary Muscles Worked: Triceps
The Machine Military Press is a great supplement to your free weights shoulder exercises as it helps you target the shoulders better as you do not spend your attention trying to maintain perfect posture. It is also a safer way to help you gain strength in your muscles as you do not need to lift the weights up to the starting position. More weight can therefore be used. The Machine Military Press works primarily the front delts, but will also target the lateral shoulder heads and triceps
Machine Military Press - Exercise Workout & Technique
- Adjust the seat on the Machine Military Press machine so that when you grip the handles, your elbows are slightly less than 90 degrees.
- Gripping the handles and firmly planting your feet on the floor, initiate the movement by exhaling and extending your arms up.
- At the top of the contraction, pause before lowering your arms back down in a controlled manner. Lower the handles to just before the weight plates touch.
- Repeat for the required number of repetitions.
Machine Military Press - Tips & Safety
- While this exercise requires less attention to posture, it is still advisable to ensure that your back makes contact with the back rest with minimal rounding of the lower back.
- Performing the exercise with one arm can help bring lagging muscles up to speed.
Machine Military Press - Alternatives
- This exercise can be recreated with dumbbells or barbells.
- A Smith Machine Press is also another suitable alternative.